What is the '05 to '06 Bridge and Trem arm differences?

Mon May 24, 2010 7:38 am

(from a response post Darth Invader made on October 24, 2007)

Hi,

I think we'll need to put something in the FAQ about this. We tightened tolerances when we
made CAD files (for the first time in the company's history) when we did the drawings for the
bridges for Tribute Series instruments. We also decided to use the metric system, as long
term, this is the way it's going everywhere. That you equate metric with cheapness escapes
me. I have some cars which are metric throughout but the Europeans who made them believe
they are of very high quality. Me too.

We also figured we could do some cosmetic upgrades, and we liked the chrome plated arm
we spec'd for Tributes. It wasn't as fat, but not so slim like traditional Fenders or early G&Ls.
We felt it was a happy medium. We rolled out the current dimensions right away with the
Tribute Series, but we had such a large stock of old dimension parts that we waited to pull the
trigger for the US instruments later, and in the meantime we had to have local venders come
online too. We took the opportunity to upgrade some of them, too, something we couldn't
easily do before because we had no CAD files, and only scraps of drawings revised here and
there over the years. With clean sheet drawings, it was refreshing to push venders to
compete, especially those who had taken us for granted over the years with poor delivery,
unpredictable quality (we ended up eating things somehow) and so on.

As for the appearance of the arm, we were so enamored with how the Tributes were coming
out we were... bummed... that the old-spec stock was so unattractive by comparison. Dealers
were certainly vocal about it. We're still a small company, and we couldn't afford dump tons of
parts, so we had to work through it. There's just no other way to explain this without blowing
smoke up somewhere.

While we're at it, we may as well prepare you for another shock: We've drawn up some
revised saddles for the DF bridge, but you'll see first in the US and later the Tribute Series.
Between our advancing CAD skills and manufacturing techniques, we can offer a better
saddle so we're going to. It'll cost us more, but we've got to keep getting better. Everyone is,
everywhere.

Re: What is the '05 to '06 Bridge and Trem arm differences?

Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:36 pm

Regarding the revised saddles mentioned, Dave posted this on Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:27 pm,
[reference post link: viewtopic.php?p=44969#p44969] :

Guys,

Last week we started shipping DF vibratos with uh, new old-school saddles. That means it has the radiused front like they used to and as the DFS saddle does now. These are basically a knock-off of the old Leo saddle, with the dimensions and chamfer from the old prints, but we did tweak the break angle a smidge. That and they're plated forged brass as they have been for several years on the US guitars. There's nothing to see here, folks, they look the same as old-school Leo DF saddles just made better.

These are what you will get if you order a set of DF replacement saddles in the store now. Price went up ten bucks, though. Booo! I know, but the cost of these has been going up, up, and up.

The Tribute Series guitars with DF vibrato will change over to this style saddle fairly soon though they'll be die-cast. We won't offer replacement die-cast DF saddle sets, though. Doesn't make much sense when for a few bucks more you could just upgrade "while you're in there."

Thanks, guys.

Dave

:ugeek: