Modifications to USA legacy

Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:57 pm

I'm thinking of buying a USA Legacy guitar. I've been led to believe that swapping the PTB tone controls for traditional CTS 250k pots will produce a more traditional strat sound. Basically what i want is the old strat controls: two tone knobs, and a volume knob. I don't like the sound of, or idea of the PTB. Would G&L be able to make those modifications? How much would it cost?

Re: Modifications to USA legacy

Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:30 pm

skipster wrote:'m thinking of buying a USA Legacy guitar. I've been led to believe that swapping the PTB tone controls for traditional CTS 250k pots will produce a more traditional strat sound. Basically what i want is the old strat controls: two tone knobs, and a volume knob. I don't like the sound of, or idea of the PTB. Would G&L be able to make those modifications? How much would it cost?

G&L did have a model called the George Fullerton Signature Model with the same Alnico pups as the Legacy, but tone controls based on George's '54 Strat, i.e. one for the middle and one for the neck pickup. Unfortunately that model has been discontinued. But if you truly want traditional Fender electronics (and perhaps pups), why don't you get yourself a Fender Custom Shop Strat? I suggest Custom Shop, since that would give you comparable quality in build. If you want to get a Legacy for build quality reasons that is great. But in that case you owe it to yourself to do the PTB experiment and see whether it truly is an impediment to obtaining the sound you have in mind.

As far as I know, changing out the PTB for a 'traditional' tone controls is not a mod available thorugh the factory, but maybe somebody else can correct me.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:18 pm

skipster wrote:I'm thinking of buying a USA Legacy guitar. I've been led to believe that swapping the PTB tone controls for traditional CTS 250k pots will produce a more traditional strat sound. Basically what i want is the old strat controls: two tone knobs, and a volume knob. I don't like the sound of, or idea of the PTB. Would G&L be able to make those modifications? How much would it cost?

You might check out these posts:Is my PTB circuit faulty? and S-500 or Legacy?

A Legacy without the PTB system is not an option from the factory. As Jos mentioned, the George Fullerton Signature model
would fit your requirements but was discontinued in 2007. You might be able to find a used one out there.

Hope this helps.

Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:28 pm

If you can read the diagrams and are handy with a soldering iron, it's fairly easy to rewire the electronics to standard strat controls. If not, your local music shop probably has someone who can do it...I doubt they'd charge too much for it, certainly would cost you quite a bit less than a Custom Shop Strat!

For the most part I prefer the PTB system, but then I rarely use my tone controls anyway. Sometimes I wish I had my Legacy wired up the way Eric Johnson does his Strats...one tone control for bridge and one for neck, that way he can roll some of the highs off just the bridge without affecting the neck...that would be especially useful for my SSS Legacy. Haven't done that yet, but might sometime!