Which aftermarket brass sustain blocks will fit my G&L trem?

Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:33 pm

I have a Legacy that I find overly bright. I have heard a brass sustain block can help. I have looked at Guitar Fetish and Floyd Rose "Big Block." But I can't tell if any of these will work with my G&L trem. Does anybody know?

Thanks,

-aaron22k

Re: Which aftermarket brass sustain blocks will fit my G&L trem?

Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:21 pm

aaron22k wrote:I have a Legacy that I find overly bright. I have heard a brass sustain block can help. I have looked at Guitar Fetish and Floyd Rose "Big Block." But I can't tell if any of these will work with my G&L trem. Does anybody know?

Thanks,

-aaron22k

Have you considered trying different types of strings to tame the brightness?

Just a thought.

Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:25 pm

Never thought of that. I've never developed any particular string loyalty (though I suppose I lean towards Ernie Ball 10's). Can you recommend a warmer string?

Still, my feeling (based only on my ears and my instincts) is that the problem is more fundamental. Sometimes I wonder if it's the neck. It was my first maple fretboard guitar, and a big departure for me sonically, being more of a Les Paul guy. Still, I fell in love with it in the store. Was listening to a lot of SRV and looking for that Strat-type sound. Just never managed to bond with it at home. I've been all over the map with my amp settings. Tried different pickups. Still not happy. Trying to figure out if I can make it work for me or if I should find it another home. Brass block seems like an affordable and not too invasive thing to try, but just can't figure out which one (if any) will fit.

Thx.

-akleven

Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:59 pm

I'm really liking DR pure blues 10's with MFD's,
they aren't quite as brash as the EB's, which were my main string for a long time.

Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:06 am

I will give them a try. Thanks.

Any info on those brass sustain blocks?

-aaron22k