Neck Finishes - Vintage Tint Gloss vs. Light Tint Gloss

Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:54 am

I have a question regarding the new Neck Finishes options:

Is the new Vintage Tint Gloss the same as the former Tinted Glossy Neck respectively the former Gun Oil Gloss Finish?

How does the new Light Tint Gloss look like? Did anyone order it already? Does anyone have photos?

I am thinking of a no-pickguard, swamp ash body guitar in cherryburst with maple fretboard. I am wondering if the new Light Tint Gloss or the Vintage Tint Gloss would look better...

Many thanks in advance.

Re: Neck Finishes - Vintage Tint Gloss vs. Light Tint Gloss

Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:38 pm

Martin S wrote:I have a question regarding the new Neck Finishes options:

Is the new Vintage Tint Gloss the same as the former Tinted Glossy Neck respectively the former Gun Oil Gloss Finish?

How does the new Light Tint Gloss look like? Did anyone order it already? Does anyone have photos?

I am thinking of a no-pickguard, swamp ash body guitar in cherryburst with maple fretboard. I am wondering if the new Light Tint Gloss or the Vintage Tint Gloss would look better...

Many thanks in advance.

I passed your questions on to Dave at G&L. He or I will post his response soon.

Hope this helps.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:34 pm

Thanks for passing that along to me, Craig.

Martin, since the Light Tint Gloss is brand new and probably no dealers have them yet, it's a bit of a leap of faith. Plus, it'll probably be a few weeks before we have photos up on the G&L site to show the difference.

The reason for the Light Tint Gloss is because we found we wanted something in between the Vintage Tint and clear. It's a really nice combination with many finishes, even Cherryburst. However, if I were going Cherryburst on swamp ash, or Alder or a flame top for that matter, I'd go with the Vintage Tint Gloss. Something about the way the Vintage Tint picks up on that Cherryburst center, especially on swamp ash. It's just tasty.

Dave

Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:09 am

Many thanks for the insight, Dave. I will go for Vintage Tint Gloss. The order is placed. I'll post pictures when it arrives (in 3 months or so...).

-- Martin

Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:30 pm

Hi.
I'm Cyril, a lefty guitarist from France.

I'm new in the forum, and I'm about to order a custom G&L ASAT special lefty.
I want a fiesta red one, like pictured in the G&L website.
I was wondering if the "light tint" will go well, compared to the "vintage tint" ?? Sometimes the vintage tint is a little bit orange ??
Still no pictures of the light tint finish ?

thank you!

Mon May 02, 2011 5:45 pm

petit professeur wrote:Hi.
I'm Cyril, a lefty guitarist from France.

I'm new in the forum, and I'm about to order a custom G&L ASAT special lefty.
I want a fiesta red one, like pictured in the G&L website.
I was wondering if the "light tint" will go well, compared to the "vintage tint" ?? Sometimes the vintage tint is a little bit orange ??
Still no pictures of the light tint finish ?

thank you!

This morning I posted this in the G&L Knowledgebase, General G&L Questions sub-forum: Comparison of Neck Finishes.

Hope this helps.

Tue May 03, 2011 9:07 am

Darth Invader wrote:The reason for the Light Tint Gloss is because we found we wanted something in between the Vintage Tint and clear. It's a really nice combination with many finishes, even Cherryburst. However, if I were going Cherryburst on swamp ash, or Alder or a flame top for that matter, I'd go with the Vintage Tint Gloss. Something about the way the Vintage Tint picks up on that Cherryburst center, especially on swamp ash. It's just tasty.

Dave

All G&Ls are 'tasty' Dave. Ha! Now then, how would a black Bluesboy look then with Light Tint Gloss or with Vintage Tint? You know what Dave? You guys need that gizmo that Fender have on their website which allows you to 'build' a guitar right on the screen (all the options and all the finishes). That would be such a great add-on to the website.

Thanks. Bill

Tue May 03, 2011 9:19 am

BillEvans1956 wrote:You guys need that gizmo that Fender have on their website which allows you to 'build' a guitar right on the screen (all the options and all the finishes). That would be such a great add-on to the website.

+1

Tue May 03, 2011 10:10 am

You guys need that gizmo that Fender have on their website which allows you to 'build' a guitar right on the screen (all the options and all the finishes). That would be such a great add-on to the website.

I didn't realize Fender had that feature, but I was just talking to a dealer about this EXACT issue. I'm not sure how technically hard it is to create a website feature like this but it sure would make it easier to decide what to order.
As it is, I'm currently trying to glean images from the web of different body color and pickguard combos for comparison. It's impossible.