Classic "S" Knobs

Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:09 pm

Hey guys :greet: I recently got my new ASAT Classic S, and I remembered seeing a post on how activate which pickup (or set of pickups) with flip the 5-way pickup selector but I can't find it anymore... so here's my guess...

left = neck
mid-left = neck + mid
middle = middle... lol
mid-right = bridge + mid
right = bridge

I THINK I got that right anyway hahaha!..... but my problem is that I can't quite remember exactly which pickups are activated by pulling out the volume knob... I think it goes something like...

left or right = neck + bridge (w/ vol. knob out)
mid = all 3 simultaneously (w/ vol. knob out)

but I'm not for sure... :think:

Re: Classic "S" Knobs

Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:44 am

On my Fender Nashville B bender I used this wiring

http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/mikerichardson.php

It still didn't get me the sound I was looking for, until I can across my ASAT ( I sometimes wish it was a 3 pickup version, but I love it anyway).

With this setup you will need to change the 5 way selector switch and add another switch (I replaced the tone control with a pull on switch). It gave me 10 different pickup configurations
Here are the sounds available,

With the pull pot down, you get stadard strat-o-tele,
1) bridge,
2) bridge + middle,
3) bridge +neck,
4) middle +neck,
5) neck.

With the pull pot up, the tones are
1) all 3 pickups in parallel,
2) bridge +middle in series,
3) bridge +neck in series,
4) middle +neck in series,
5) all 3 in series

Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:34 pm

Hi stagecoach,

A surefire way to figure out which pup is 'on' and/or 'off' is to get yourself a screwdriver (or any other piece of metal), hook up your guitar to your amp, put your switch and/or push-pull in your desired configuration, and gently tap the pole pieces of your pups with the scewdriver. There will be an audible clunk coming out of the amp when the pup is 'on'. It does not tell you whether pups are in series or parallel. That can be figured out by measuring the DC resistance of your pups and then know that for series configurations the DC resistances are summed whereas for parallel the reciprocal of the measured resistance is the sum of the reciprocals of each pup involved (see this Wikipedia page).

Or you look under the hood and figure out the wiring of course but most likely you'll find this and are none the wiser ...

BTW, from the fact that you have a volume push-pull pot I reason you have a '04 mode since all later models have tone push-pulls. Is that correct? But no matter what, congrats!

- Jos

P.S. I checked out my Trinity which also has a volume push-pull and these are the pickup configurations:

pu selectorpush-pull downpush-pull up
1neckneck+bridge
2neck+middleneck+middle+bridge
3middlemiddle
4middle+bridgeneck+middle+bridge
5bridgeneck+bridge

Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:24 pm

IrritatedViking wrote:Hey guys :greet: I recently got my new ASAT Classic S, and I remembered seeing a post on how activate which pickup (or set of pickups) with flip the 5-way pickup selector but I can't find it anymore... so here's my guess...

left = neck
mid-left = neck + mid
middle = middle... lol
mid-right = bridge + mid
right = bridge

I THINK I got that right anyway hahaha!..... but my problem is that I can't quite remember exactly which pickups are activated by pulling out the volume knob... I think it goes something like...

left or right = neck + bridge (w/ vol. knob out)
mid = all 3 simultaneously (w/ vol. knob out)

but I'm not for sure... :think:

This is called the Expander switch setting and you will find the details in this post: What is the expander switch used on many of the models? in the General G&L Questions sub-forum of the G&L Knowledgebase.

Hope this helps.

Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:17 am

Thanks Mr. Craig!!! :thumbup: