G&L JB questions

Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:51 pm

Hello,

I've been up and down the spectrum looking for a great Jazz bass and am starting to see good things (YouTube Videos) on the JB.
I think this one was introduced in 2009. Anyway, I've got a few questions as I get closer to picking one up.

Are these American JB's all plecked?

Also, if for some reason my local dealer was out of one, is the build time long? - Obviously depending on stock.

Is the JB Rustic basically the same as the JB, except aged?

Do these address any of the common 60 cycle hum? Not a deal breaker, Just curious..

Are there any opportunities to get the neck made a bit thinner on the thumb side?

These questions are all because my town doesn't have a local dealer that I'm aware of (Jacksonville, FL).

Thanks for any knowledgable folk out there :)

Best,
Adam

Re: G&L JB questions

Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:55 pm

chinjazz wrote:Are these American JB's all plecked?

Absolutely. All current USA basses are PLEK'd.

Also, if for some reason my local dealer was out of one, is the build time long? - Obviously depending on stock.

You should ask the dealer to contact the factory for an estimate. It will vary - sometimes a lot.

Is the JB Rustic basically the same as the JB, except aged?

Same instrument, different finish.

Do these address any of the common 60 cycle hum? Not a deal breaker, Just curious..

I assume you mean single coil noise rather than 60Hz hum. 60Hz hum is an indication of a ground problem and is not normal for any instrument. Single coil noise is (in varying degrees) normal for a Jazz-style bass and the JB is no different. The pickups are single coil and will noise cancel when their levels are set exactly the same. If the levels are different, noise canceling is reduced and you can many times hear it.

Are there any opportunities to get the neck made a bit thinner on the thumb side?

No, sorry. G&L does not build asymmetrical necks.

These questions are all because my town doesn't have a local dealer that I'm aware of (Jacksonville, FL).

This, from the G&L dealer listing.

* Pro Music
* 5535 Beach Blvd
* Jacksonville, FL 32207
* Tel: (904) 399-5719

There are also some great dealers across the nation, from here in SoCal to the east coast. The list can be found here.

Ken...

Re: G&L JB questions

Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:24 am

Thanks Ken! Much appreciated.

I'm gathering that the neck on the JB is the #8 - G&L Modern Narrow "C", which will probably be perfect for me.

Sort of feels silly to not have considered one of these JB's before.. The market is flooded with J type basses,
and this one certainly has it's "root" advantages :)....

Thanks so much!
Adam