Could this be a mahogany model?

Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:51 am

Hi guys...LOVIN' my new (used) G&L!! Anyway, I was wondering if you think think this could be ash or mahogany? I read somewhere that ash is supposed to be pretty lightweight, but this thing is heavy as a tank! The serial number of CLF10421 and the body stamp of Nov. 29th 2004 makes me wonder if it could be mahogany? There is no neck date, it just says, "Tony R Leg"?? This is a Legacy HB in clear red with heavy gloss finish, black pickguard and locking Schaller tuners. I just can't seem to find another one like it anywhere - except for photos I've seen online of the mahogany ones. I noticed in the production listing it says the Legacy HB mahogany guitars were produced in 2006, but all the other mahogany models (including "regular" legacy) were produced 2004. Could it be possible that a 2004 mahogany Legacy body was used later on in 2006 to build an HB?? If the image doesn't come through here, there are more pics of it on the gallery. Also, the flash lit it up a bit here...the color is actually much darker, kinda wine colored. Any info you guys can offer would be awesome, thanks for your great help! :) Image
Last edited by fixapony on Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Could this be a mahogany model?

Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:53 am

(P.S. This is not the case it came with...it came with an older style brown "deluxe" type case w/orange fuzzy lining. Thanks!)

Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:28 am

Best would be a close picture of the neck pocket.

Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:18 am

It kinda looks like Mahogany, but too hard to tell w/o a better pic. :geek:
BTW, beautiful guitar!
Cheers!
VK

Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:52 am

Thanks! I took the neck off the other day to date it and took some photos. Here are the pics of the body and back of the neck:

This is also a generic sample pic I found online representing Honduran Mahogany:

See whatcha' think... Can you tell I would really really be happy if it was mahogany? LOL! Thanks again, everyone! :P

Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:21 pm

My guitar teacher today just voted "yes" on mahogany. Any other input? ;)

Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:23 pm

fixapony wrote:My guitar teacher today just voted "yes" on mahogany. Any other input? ;)

No question, that looks just like the neck pocket on my hog F-100.

Nice pics by the way,

Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:55 pm

WOOOO-HOOOOOO, you guys just made my day!! I will update the info in the registry. I still wonder why the dates are off, but am still figuring maybe it was a leftover body from the previous Legacy models? As for the photos, it helps to have macro on your camera...haha! Thanks again, everyone! :happy0065:

Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:27 pm

That is a Mahogany. American Guitar in Maple Grove has had a new Mahogany body Legacy for years and the serial number is in the CLF10XXX range from the same time period as this. They are beauties and in my opinion are a great find. -- Darwin

Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:59 pm

Thanks Darwin! I've been in a SUPER good mood the whole day because of it. My guitar teacher played it today and told me that it feels like it's hardly ever been played and needs to be broken in. I think I can take care of that...hehe ;)

Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:29 pm

Although I missed the right moment to answer, I'll totally agree with Mahogany. :mrgreen:

The neck without date thing, I remember, We'd already some talk about that:

http://guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1498

So if it isn't wrong that they do not put date stamps on the neck since about 2005, yours must be one of the first without that feature.

Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:42 pm

Well fixapony, you can count your blessings ;) What you have is a G&L Custom Creations Department 'Special Build' mahogany Legacy (that a mouthful ...) of which, according to this list of G&L models, less than 25 were built. Unfortunately, not all Special Build models are listed on theG&L Custom Creations Department webpage and this is one such omission.

Congrats!

- Jos

Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:16 am

Wow, thanks so much for all the great info, everyone! I always have a deep appreciation for the history of things, and this is no exception. It makes me enjoy it so much more. Bonded forever, no question! :rolleyes:

Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:23 am

fixapony wrote:Bonded forever, no question! :rolleyes:

Famous last words. :mrgreen:

Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:27 pm

Now now, Miles..... - ed

PS Beautiful guitar. Killer, whether slinging it or swinging it!

Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:27 pm

I believe you have one of 25 or 30 made depending on the year 2005 or 2006 Mine is called Carmel Red all mahogany i have a list of all models made for each year

Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:57 pm

Wow!

Welcome Divrack. What took you so long to find us? - ed

Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:09 pm

fixapony wrote:See whatcha' think... Can you tell I would really really be happy if it was mahogany? LOL! Thanks again, everyone! :P

Here's a pic of an old body pocket that is known to be mahogany so you have another G&L to compare. Granted, it's 20 years older than your guitar, but you get the idea.

Ken...

Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:36 pm

I'm gonna vote alder. Ha! :happy0007: - ed