1986 ASAT ...Is it just ASAT???

Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:24 am

Hi,

I have a 1986 ASAT and have verified it by removing the neck. My question: Is it just an ASAT or something else? It seems lately I have been reading up on the ASAT's and there are many different types..i.e. Classic, Tribute etc. So I was just wondering if it is just an ASAT since it doesn't seem like they just sell an ASAT anymore.

I don't mean to use the word "just" in a derogatory manner because I really like this guitar. I have had it for about 18 years and it feels really nice. My guitar before this was a Strat. Also, I have read that the 1986 ASAT is a bit more "sought" after (than later year ASAT's) for some reason, not sure if it is because it was the first year of this kind of ASAT.

Just wondering if anyone can answer my question and I have been reading the different type models but I don't think that G&L sells "just" the ASAT anymore but the name is combined with something else i.e. Classic etc.

Thanks for any info someone may have. I iwll try to post a pic of it here but since this is my first post it may not work.

JeffR

http://cgi.ebay.com/LEO-FENDER-1986-ASA ... 5d28aade57

Re: 1986 ASAT ...Is it just ASAT???

Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:35 pm

Hi Jeff,

There is a little bit of history here so bear with me. In the early '50's, Fender tried to name what is now commonly known as the Telecaster 'Broadcaster'. But Gretsch turned out to hold a trademark on the name 'Broadkaster' which they used for a drum kit. Gretsch sent Fender a cease and desist letter and hence the model was renamed Telecaster. Apparently Gretsch had not been paying too close attention in keeping the trademark in standing. So Dale Hyatt, Leo's partner in G&L Music Sales and 'father' of G&L's tele-shaped guitar with 2 large MFD pickups, thought it would be a nice coup to name this new model 'Broadcaster' when first released in late '85. However, this time FMIC took umbrage, leading to a name change in '86 to ASAT (for Anti-Satellite). So you have one of these early models produced just after the name change. The proliferation of names only came after other pickup configurations were used. First were the ASAT III ('88) and ASAT Classic ('89). But until '92, the 2 large MFD model was still just called 'ASAT' before it was changed to 'ASAT Special'. You can find a comprehensive list of all names used in this entry in the Knowledgebase. Also note that the 'Tribute' is not so much a separate model but rather a line of G&L models produced overseas. Many of the names are identical to the USA models with 'Tribute' inserted to make the distinction.

Now as far as the decal on the headstock is concerned, all T-shaped models produced by G&L have an 'ASAT' logo with the following exceptions (logo in parentheses):
Broadcaster ('Broadcaster'), all ASAT Classic, ASAT '50, and Bluesboy models ( 'ASAT Classic'), Commemorative ('Commemorative'), John Jorgenson Signature (actual signature), ASAT Z-3 ('ASAT Z-3'), Guitars by Leo Limited Edition ('GbL LE'), 20th Anniversary ('20th Anniversary 1980-2000'), ASAT JD-5 ('ASAT JD-5'), Will Ray Signature (actual signature), 25th Anniversary ('25th Anniversary 1980-2005'), and C.L.F. Centennial ASAT ('Centennial').

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:11 pm

Jeff,

Josh has the information correct. I do need to fix the table he made reference to. The ASAT date should be 1986 - 1992 and the ASAT Special date should be 1992-present.
The ASAT Special name is the official name of the model since late 1992, however, the headstock decal continues to be just "ASAT".
This is probably one of the sources of confusion for you. I will be making this table change later today.

Also, another excellent source of G&L information is Greg Gagliano's (aka GGJaguar) website. We have the link to it on our Links page.

Hope this helps.

Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:42 pm

Craig wrote:Jeff,

Josh has the information correct. I do need to fix the table he made reference to. The ASAT date should be 1986 - 1992 and the ASAT Special date should be 1992-present.
The ASAT Special name is the official name of the model since late 1992, however, the headstock decal continues to be just "ASAT".
This is probably one of the sources of confusion for you. I will be making this table change later today.

Also, another excellent source of G&L information is Greg Gagliano's (aka GGJaguar) website. We have the link to it on our Links page.

Hope this helps.

I've updated both the Production List of G&L Instruments (USA) and the List of Regular Production ASAT-style guitars information.

Hope this helps.

Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:33 pm

Josh & Craig,

Thanks a lot for the info. I'm very impressed with your knowledge of the G&L. I now understand just what my guitar is, not that it matters since I have no intention of selling it. After 18 years I'm still impressed. If I get another guitar I would like to go try out the Semi-hollow Blues Boy. Thanks again and Merry Christmas.

Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:14 am

Craig wrote:
Craig wrote:I've updated both the Production List of G&L Instruments (USA)

To which there belongs my ASAT, not Special, but built in 1994?

Due to GGJaguar's description, I consider mine as plain ASAT, because it has no chrome hardware.

The middle PU has been added by a pre owner, I don't think he has also changed the hardware. So it's originally not an ASAT 3, but ASAT:

http://i.wuell.net/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=ASAT3

Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:58 pm

Miles Smiles wrote:Due to GGJaguar's description, I consider mine as plain ASAT, because it has no chrome hardware.

Have to agree with you there. If I interpret Greg description correctly this would be the time line for the ASAT and/or ASAT Special:
PeriodNameRemarks
pre BBE - 1991ASATBlack hardware, pre-BBE volume/tone circuit
1992 - 1998ASATBlack hardware, BBE-era ASAT Classic volume/tone circuit
1992 - 1998ASAT SpecialChrome hardware, BBE-era ASAT Classic volume/tone circuit
1998 - 2000ASATChrome hardware, BBE-era ASAT Classic volume/tone circuit
2000-currentASAT SpecialChrome hardware, BBE-era ASAT Classic volume/tone circuit

Again, this is my interpretation. I have no knowledge whether the pre-BBE circuitry was ever reintroduced or not. So if anybody has comments, corrections, additions, etc. please chime in.

- Jos