G&L decal states Custom Made In USA

Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:00 pm

Recently, I saw a G&L ASAT with attributes characteristic of a USA built and a Asian built ASAT. The bridge had ASAT classic stamped on it. The pickup selector and output jack were of the type found on the tribute models.

On the headstock, G&L was in gold letters and to the right was the word Custom and underneath custom was Made in USA. The headstock appeared to have bad coat job. No serial number was listed on the back of the headstock.

The case was an SKB with G&L stamped on it.

Is this a possible homemade hybrid? The headstock decal was of concern because it did not state ASAT, simply Custom Made in USA.

Would a custom, USA built ASAT ever have parts typically found on a Tribute model?

Re: G&L decal states Custom Made In USA

Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:32 pm

Thanks, Tim.

I wish I had taken a photo. It was for sale. Upon seeing and holding the actual guitar, I noticed many inconsistencies.

I'm glad you mentioned the neck plate. It was a 4 bolt, no s/n and did not have G&L inscribed on it. It was the same type of neck plate that's on my ASAT Tribute.

Dave

Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:39 pm

Satchel68 wrote:Thanks, Tim.

I wish I had taken a photo. It was for sale. Upon seeing and holding the actual guitar, I noticed many inconsistencies.

I'm glad you mentioned the neck plate. It was a 4 bolt, no s/n and did not have G&L inscribed on it. It was the same type of neck plate that's on my ASAT Tribute.

Dave

Do you recall what the serial number format was? It should have been on the back of the headstock.

Here's info on the various serial number formats: Serial number significance.

Hope this helps.

Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:58 am

There was no serial number on the headstock or on the plate.

Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:12 am

Satchel68 wrote:There was no serial number on the headstock or on the plate.

I think it wise to avoid that "instrument". It does not sound like a stock G&L to me. :crazy: