Difference in neck wood/pickups in Tribute and USA L2000?

Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:02 pm

hi i currently own a U.S.A. L2000, i've been looking into getting a backup bass, and i think getting a tribute is a good idea. i was just wondering, are the pickups/neck/fretboard quality the same as the u.s.? i've heard some ppl saying that the tribute series utilizes all american parts, just put together in indonesia. the only difference it says is that the pickups are "fullerton made" does that imply that the pickups are the same, but G&L simply wants to point out that they are american pickups made in fullerton? also the big one im thinking of is neck quality. is it the SAME quality? the exact same kind of wood used on the american ones? i'm just curious, because the tributes don't come in the selectable neck sizes, just the one, and that throws me off. i know they're both maple on maple, i'm just wondering if they're the same quality of maple on maple. just wanna make sure i got that wording right because i don't like being hoodwinked.

Re: Difference in neck wood/pickups in Tribute and USA L2000?

Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:51 pm

Underdogbassist wrote:hi i currently own a U.S.A. L2000, i've been looking into getting a backup bass, and i think getting a tribute is a good idea. i was just wondering, are the pickups/neck/fretboard quality the same as the u.s.?

In order: Yes/No/No.

i've heard some ppl saying that the tribute series utilizes all american parts, just put together in indonesia. the only difference it says is that the pickups are "fullerton made" does that imply that the pickups are the same, but G&L simply wants to point out that they are american pickups made in fullerton?

I'll assume you're equating this with the "Duncan Designed" line of OEM pickups from Seymour Duncan. The G&L MFD pickups that are in the Tribute basses are the same pickups that are in the USA basses.

...also the big one im thinking of is neck quality. is it the SAME quality? the exact same kind of wood used on the american ones? i'm just curious, because the tributes don't come in the selectable neck sizes, just the one, and that throws me off. i know they're both maple on maple, i'm just wondering if they're the same quality of maple on maple. just wanna make sure i got that wording right because i don't like being hoodwinked.

The Tribute necks are very good; certainly at least the equal of many basses on the market, but not quite up there with the USA basses. The design is essentially the same.

Ken...