What were the body wood possibilites on early G&L Basses?

Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:07 pm

[from a post on the G&LDP: Yes byGPD on March 10, 2008: in response to post:
Jim, you must be a proud papa! posted by asphalt-abate! on March 10, 2008]

: Jim, must be nice to have one of your instruments spawn a whole generation of reissues.
: I know that the mahogany body L-1000's produced a killer tone but as a few of you know, I just went through an email exchange with a working bassist who was looking for an L-1000 but was shying away from the ash and mahogany because of it's weight. He passed on my hog L-1000. Did Leo ever use poplar on the L-1000? Gabe didn't mention it in his response. What were the solid finish L-1000's made from if not alder, maple?

You will find no rhyme or reason as to body wood used on L1K's. Basically mahogany, maple and ash can be found under transparent and solid finishes. Mahogany is pretty much gone from all G&L's by the time 1985 rolled around. Ash persisted until the model died as did maple though it is pretty uncommon to find a maple L1K in general.

Poplar was definitely used but only under a solid finish. I've never seen a poplar L1K before but I have seen poplar L2K's, SB's and El Toro's.

There are always exceptions that can be found except one certainty...Alder was most positively never used on a G&L guitar or bass produced between 5/1980 and 11/1991.

Hope this helps,

Gabe