Semi Hollow Bluesboy equipment confusion: Pickups. help.

Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:48 am

I will addend this post after I take it apart and photograpgh it, but...the pickups seem wrong were they ever equipped this way? Looked around the knowledge base to no avail.

Picked up an nice ASAT semi hollow recently, a bluesboy evidently, in like new condition, apparently mid 00s from the CLF serial no. It is so clean it does not look like it has been molested, but it is suspicious. I am wondering if this congfig was ever offered as a bluesboy:
Bridge pickup: Telecaster looking alnico poles, not the G&L adjsutables. Def not a G&L MFD that is on every other ASAT Ive seen.
Neck pickup: Offset pole chrome HB (Seymour Duncan 3 + 3 looking thing like this):
http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/c ... r_humbuck/

The bridge sounds way too mellow no punch esp on the low strings, DISCLAIMER it could just need new strings? They dont seem shot. The neck pup sounds pretty good. Perhaps it will all become clear when I open it up but I am no expert so your tips help rumours opinions are welcome.
Thanks in advance.
Note: it says ASAT Classic on the neck logo and on the bridge plate, did bluesboys have special marks? Maybe its one of those 'employee' guitars. I know they exist because I own an employee one-off.

Re: Semi Hollow Bluesboy equipment confusion: Pickups. help.

Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:16 pm

Here is the pickguard Image

Here are the pictures of it opened up. The pickups are free of markingshttp://www.tinpl8.com/BLuesboy.htm

Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:54 pm

Neither of those pickups are stock G&L ASAT Classic BluesBoy pickups.

Check out the G&L Knowledgebase in the General G&L Questions sub-forum: List of pickups used in G&L guitars
Also this post in the Let's Talk G&L Instruments sub-forum: Alnico V in USA Bluesboy

Here's a picture of a stock ASAT Classic BluesBoy Semi-Hollow (MFD single coil in bridge position and Seymour Duncan Seth Lover Humbucker in neck position):

Here's a picture of a stock Tribute ASAT Classic BluesBoy Semi-Hollow(MFD single coil in bridge position and G&L AS4250B Alnico humbucker with nickel cover in neck position:

Hope this helps.

Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:06 am

Would they happen to be GFS pickups? They have a standard HB-sized pickup that looks just like that, an ersatz F**der WRHB. My 2¢