Custom Creations 2000 Rampage vs original Rampage

Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:28 am

[from a post on the G&LDP by GPD (Gabe), original post information unknown]

For those that did not realize how much different the reissue is versus the original here’s the list:

• Body Wood: Originals are mostly soft maple or poplar with a few ash examples known to exist.
Reissues are alder.

• Body Shape: Original shape is basically identical to the F-100 Strat shape used on so many early
pre-BBE G&L’s. Reissue is not quite the same shape though similar.

• Body Thickness: Original was 1.625” thick and the reissue is 1.75” thick.

• Bridge: Original had a solid brass Kahler 2300 Flat-mount whereas the reissue has a reissue Kahler
that is a different casting all together. The Kahler on the reissue is recessed into the body to mimic
the modifications Jerry had made to his own personal Rampages. Jerry actually had the bridge and
the neck sunken deeper into the body in an effort to improve sustain. He claims it worked…and I have
no reason to doubt him as getting more contact between the neck and the body will always improve
sustain.

• Neck joint. Original has a narrower heel than the reissue and utilizes the George Fullerton
designed “Precision-Tilt” device. Reissue has a modern-day G&L 4-bolt and no precision-tilt.

• Neck: On all original Rampage’s was either a #3, #4 or #5 bi-cut but mostly a #4 which has a 1.75” nut
width and a 25” radius. The back of the neck was hand oiled using Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil and the
headstock face was shot with a color coat and clear. Most of these guitars had the Guitar-Tech locking
nut that Leo Fender designed and patented (and is a POS). The fingerboard was always ebony up until
late 1987 at which time it was converted to Indian Rosewood. The original fingerboards are always of
the double curved thin veneer variety. The frets were low/wide and tuners were generally Schaller M-6’s
but occasionally you’ll find Sperzels especially if the guitar was ordered with the Leo Fender Fine Tuner
vibrato. The reissue neck is a bi-cut 4-bolt with a wider heel. The radius on all of these necks is 12”
which is quite a but rounder than the originals 25” radius. Fingerboard wood on the reissue is ebony
though a slab-board and the nut is a Floyd Rose just like the way Cantrell modded his two original
Rampage’s. Frets are much taller on the reissue compared to the original. Tuners on reissue are the
same as used on the originals. The blend from the nut to headstock region is very different on the
reissue compared to the originals. The decal on the reissue is the same as used on the early 84’-85’
Rampages though different from the 86’-91’ vintage Rampages. The backside profile of the reissue
neck is very different from that found on the early necks.

• Controls: The original had a single USA CTS 250K pot mounted to a brass plated reinforcement/shield
plate. The reissues have a modern non-USA pot and no reinforcement/shield plate. The shape of the
original Rampage control cavity is identical to that of the early Invader and Superhawk which is quite a
bit different from what was used on the reissue Rampage model. The control plate on the original was
powder coated 18ga steel and is top mounted whereas the reissue uses a plastic plate which is
recessed in the body.

• Pickup: The original had a Schaller PAF copy which is a rather low to medium output jobbie.
Cantrell had swapped in a SD Jeff Beck on his guitars and the reissue has a SD Jeff Beck pickup
on board. The Jeff Beck pickup is substantially hotter than the original Schaller.

• Output Jack: Both use the infamous Switchcraft shielded tube-jack fitted to a ½” bore in the body side.
The original Rampage has a special counter-bored hole for the jack to recess to the body. The reissue
does not have this feature…just a ½” hole.

• Neither guitar will fit in your typically available Stratocaster case and I suspect that is why the reissue
was sold with a gig bag. 100% of all pre-BBE built Rampage guitars left the factory in a high quality
G&G plywood/tolex case.

So there you have it…the differences between the originals and the reissues. I’ve played a bunch of
Rampages over the years and I’ve played 3 different reissue Rampage models. To be perfectly honest,
they look more alike than they feel or sound. To be honest, I much prefer the tall fretwire found on the
reissue and for AIC type music, the JB pickup is definitely a better choice. The locking Floyd Rose nut
is definitely a better rig than the original Rampage Guitar-Tech setup. That said, I much prefer the feel
of the neck along with the mega-flat fingerboard found on the original Rampage and I also like the
slimmer neck joint region of the originals. Additionally, for cleaner rock-n-roll (Think AC/DC) the
Schaller actually works out better than the JB. If you swap a JB into an original Rampage the two
guitars become much closer in sound but they never really feel the same…it is kind of weird because
when you look at them from 12 feet…they look semi-identical. The reissue Rampage’s seem to have
more of a midrange voice to them and definitely are noticeably warmer sounding compared to the
originals.

When it comes to versatility…there is no denying the limitations of any Rampage new or old. Gimme
an old Invader or Supehawk any day!

Still…compared to other 1-knob, 1-pickup guitars of the day…a fine instrument...certainly as good as
anything Charvel, Jackson or Kramer could come up with during the era of spandex!

Gabe