G&L Tributes made in China?

Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:49 pm

I thought it was Korea first and then Indonesia with a "side trip" via Japan for a short time. Was checking out a Cantrell Tribute and it was stamped China on the back of the headstock so thought I'd ask. Craig/Darth?

Re: G&L Tributes made in China?

Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:51 pm

jonc wrote:I thought it was Korea first and then Indonesia with a "side trip" via Japan for a short time. Was checking out a Cantrell Tribute and it was stamped China on the back of the headstock so thought I'd ask. Craig/Darth?

Yes, the Tribute Cantrell, the Tribute ASAT HB and the [new in 2010] Tribute Legacy HB are all built in China.
Your Tribute timeline is not quite correct. The Tribute line made in Japan came before the Made in Korea Tribute line and it is
still in production, but is only marketed and sold in Japan. The Made in Korea Tribute line was moved to Indonesia and is still
manufactured there. There are some postings in the G&L Knowledgebase subforum General G&L Questions about Tribute line.

BTW, the serial numbering for the Made in China models begin with "L".

Hope this helps.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:13 am

Craig wrote:
jonc wrote:I thought it was Korea first and then Indonesia with a "side trip" via Japan for a short time. Was checking out a Cantrell Tribute and it was stamped China on the back of the headstock so thought I'd ask. Craig/Darth?

Yes, the Tribute Cantrell, the Tribute ASAT HB and the [new in 2010] Tribute Legacy HB are all built in China.
Your Tribute timeline is not quite correct. The Tribute line made in Japan came before the Made in Korea Tribute line and it is
still in production, but is only marketed and sold in Japan. The Made in Korea Tribute line was moved to Indonesia and is still
manufactured there. There are some postings in the G&L Knowledgebase subforum General G&L Questions about Tribute line.

Hope this helps.

The Tribute ASAT HB and the Tribute Legacy HB (new in 2010] were discontinued in 2011 and by 2013 the Tribute Rampage Jerry Cantrell Signature model
production was move to Indonesia. So, at this point, no more Tribute models are made in China.

:ugeek:

Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:00 pm

Craig wrote:

Hope this helps.

This is an old thread, but what does the "L" stand for in the Chinese serial numbers, and were those guitars also made by Cort or by someone else?
Thanks
David

Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:03 pm

dhgleaves wrote:
Craig wrote:

Hope this helps.

This is an old thread, but what does the "L" stand for in the Chinese serial numbers, and were those guitars also made by Cort or by someone else?
Thanks
David

The "L" prefix in the serial number was used to indicate the Manufacturing Country of China. I have no idea why they chose "L" for this notation.
Of the three Made in China models, only the Tribute Jerry Cantrell Signature Rampage was moved to the Cort Indonesia factory.

The Made In China Tribute Legacy HB specs were:

Photo at left: Legacy HB in Satin Olive Drab
with Black pickguard

PICKUPS
2 dual rail humbuckers in neck and middle positions; overwound Alnico V humbucker in bridge position
BODY WOOD
Basswood
NECK WOOD
Slim profile Hard Rock Maple with Rosewood fingerboard
NECK RADIUS
13.75”
NECK WIDTH AT NUT
1 5/8" (41.3mm)
TUNING KEYS
18:1 ratio, sealed-back
BRIDGE
Floyd Rose Special locking tremolo
CONTROLS
5 position pickup selector, 1-Volume and 1-Tone w/ Push/Pull to split coil of bridge humbucker
OTHER
G&L Deluxe Gig Bag included in USA (Outside USA please contact your G&L distributor for availability)

Reference info from the Internet Archives for the G&L website Tribute Legacy HB (2010-mid 2011) spec page: http://web.archive.org/web/20100212122952/http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/TributeSeries/guitars/Legacy_HB/index.asp.

The Made In China Tribute ASAT HB specs were:

Photo at left: ASAT HB in Black

PICKUPS
2 overwound Alnico V humbuckers
BODY WOOD
Basswood
NECK WOOD
Slim profile Hard Rock Maple with Rosewood fingerboard
NECK RADIUS
13.75”
NECK WIDTH AT NUT
1 5/8" (41.3mm)
TUNING KEYS
18:1 ratio, sealed-back
BRIDGE
Floyd Rose Special locking tremolo
CONTROLS
3 position pickup selector, 1-Volume and 1-Tone w/ Push/Pull to split coils of both humbuckers
OTHER
G&L Deluxe Gig Bag included in USA (Outside USA please contact your G&L distributor for availability)

Reference info from the Internet Archives for the G&L website Tribute ASAT HB (2010-mid 2011) spec page: http://web.archive.org/web/20100213011240/http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/TributeSeries/guitars/ASAT_HB/index.asp.

Hope this helps.

Sun May 28, 2023 3:49 pm

In 2022, G&L came out with The Placentia Series which are special builds for Musicians Friend/Guitar Center as Limited Editions.
They are built in China. See: G&L Placentia Series.