Floating Bridge - G&L Fullerton Deluxe Legacy HB

Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:05 am

My 2021 G&L Fullerton Deluxe Legacy HB came with a floating bridge. The guitar surprisingly stays pretty much in tune, except when I do "double stop" bends ( example -pick the B and G strings at the same time and bend the G string up a whole step while letting the B string continue to ring out - the B string can go out of tune during the bend ).I rarely use the whammy bar so I was thinking that I want to lock the bridge. Is this possible? Can I do it myself? Is there any video out there that would show me how to lock down the bridge? Any thoughts are appreciated.

PS I have had the guitar for about a month now and it is awesome! Tone, action and intonation are just right for me. Love the passive tone controls and 9.5" fretboard radius..

Re: Floating Bridge - G&L Fullerton Deluxe Legacy HB

Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:36 am

Here's a post in our G&L Knowledgebase Forum which might help:

Some setup info posted in the past on the GbL ....

Hope this helps.

Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:49 pm

Craig,

Thank you for your assistance. Based on what I was able to find, my plan with be as follows to lock down the tremelo.
1) Meausure the action of high and low E strings at the 12th fret
1) Losen all strings & deck the tremelo. Tremelo should be level with the body of the guitar.
2) Turn the guitar over and remove the springs
3) Lock the tremelo into place by placing something on both sides (a piece of wood, coins) of the tremelo so that it cannot move
4) Put the springs back in place
5) Tighten the strings (my guess is the action will be too low)
6) Losen strings and raise the action, then tighten strings
7) Check intonation and adjust if necessary

Not sure I want to attempt this myself or if I will bring it to a tech.
I don't live that far away from the G&L factory. Do you think they would be willing to do block the tremelo for me?

Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:41 am

You do not want to deck the bridge like you would on a Fender Strat. The dual fulcrum vibrato is designed to be elevated above the body and parallel to the body. You will experience all kinds of problems if you try to screw the bridge plate down to the body of the guitar. If you want to lock the vibrato, leave it exactly where it is at and put the appropriate size block of wood between the vibrato block and the body of the guitar.