Adjusting Pickup Height on 2011 G&L Asat Special

Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:01 am

Hi all - hoping someone can shed some light on this. I have a 2011 USA ASAT Special with the jumbo MFD pickups and I'm having trouble adjusting the pickup height. There are no springs under the pickups, only little foam blocks, so I'm not quite sure how I'm meant to raise the pickup? Loosening the screws on loosens the pickup covers. Were there meant to be springs under the pickups from the factory? Or perhaps only the pole pieces are meant to be adjusted?

When I look at the same pickups in the shop today, it appears they come included with springs.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Re: Adjusting Pickup Height on 2011 G&L Asat Special

Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:49 am

mrkeen1 wrote:Hi all - hoping someone can shed some light on this. I have a 2011 USA ASAT Special with the jumbo MFD pickups and I'm having trouble adjusting the pickup height. There are no springs under the pickups, only little foam blocks, so I'm not quite sure how I'm meant to raise the pickup? Loosening the screws on loosens the pickup covers. Were there meant to be springs under the pickups from the factory? Or perhaps only the pole pieces are meant to be adjusted?

When I look at the same pickups in the shop today, it appears they come included with springs.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

There are supposed to be springs on the pickup adjuster screws.
Here is a photo showing some of the parts:

Hope this helps.

Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:57 am

Thank you, Craig. It's strange because mine definitely didn't come with springs. I found this old thread that indicates that perhaps some guitars of my era were meant to only be adjustable via the pole pieces - is that possible? viewtopic.php?f=36&t=763&hilit=pickup+foam+asat

Alternatively, if mine just didn't come with springs for some reason, do you have a link of where I can buy just the springs, or maybe their specs so that I can find some at the hardware store?

Thanks again for your reply Craig, much appreciated.

Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:19 am

mrkeen1 wrote:Thank you, Craig. It's strange because mine definitely didn't come with springs. I found this old thread that indicates that perhaps some guitars of my era were meant to only be adjustable via the pole pieces - is that possible? viewtopic.php?f=36&t=763&hilit=pickup+foam+asat

Alternatively, if mine just didn't come with springs for some reason, do you have a link of where I can buy just the springs, or maybe their specs so that I can find some at the hardware store?

Thanks again for your reply Craig, much appreciated.

I am glad you found that post, because now I remember that the two springs go underneath the pickup. They may have made changes some time after 2010 regarding the springs for the MFD Jumbo pickups.
I suggest you contact Memo Romero [G&L Service Manager] and ask him how many and what type/size springs your MFD Jumbo pickup needs. He might be able to tell where you get them, too.
Memo's email address is repairs@glguitars.com.

Let us know what you find out.

Hope this helps.

Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:30 am

Thanks again Craig. After further inspection, I'm almost certain that my pickups never had springs under them (there are no holes or other indications) - only the height foam. So what I've done is just added a bit more foam on top of the existing stuff to give the extra height I need. Then I adjusted the pole pieces accordingly. This has allowed me to adjust the pickups higher to where I need them to be.

Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:29 pm

mrkeen1 wrote:Thanks again Craig. After further inspection, I'm almost certain that my pickups never had springs under them (there are no holes or other indications) - only the height foam. So what I've done is just added a bit more foam on top of the existing stuff to give the extra height I need. Then I adjusted the pole pieces accordingly. This has allowed me to adjust the pickups higher to where I need them to be.

Sounds like a great solution!!! :thumbup:

When you get a chance, do added you guitar to our G&L Registry.

Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:45 pm

Added! I went to add my new(ish) Legacy as well, but it looks like it was already uploaded by Admin - so both are up now!

Thank you again for your help Craig.

Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:11 pm

mrkeen1 wrote:Added! I went to add my new(ish) Legacy as well, but it looks like it was already uploaded by Admin - so both are up now!

Thank you again for your help Craig.

You are welcome.

You do need to edit the Legacy entry and change it to you as the owner.