How do i know if my G&L legacy is custom shop or not?

Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:39 pm

I bought a second hand legacy through a private seller a couple of years ago. The registry shows my legacy as being "2012 Special Collection Legacy" and says "G&L legacy USA" on the headstock but no "custom shop model" or anything similar. Is this a custom shop model or a regular one? I'm unfamiliar with the branding of the different series' so any help is greatly appreciated.

Re: How do i know if my G&L legacy is custom shop or not?

Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:19 am

Hi,

An S/N would have helped but with the data you provided it looks like we are talking about the Nearly Naked (NENA) edition. This page on the ASAT Classic 'S' in that series contains links to now archived pages. In particular, your Legacy is covered here. They are not Custom Creation Department (CCD) models limited to a fixed (low) production number but rather only could be ordered through dealers for a limited times, i.e. the year 2012 in this case. Hence there are no CCD logos present nor were they provided with special certificates. It did come with the Phyllis Fender signed COA and a spec sheet.

- Jos

Re: How do i know if my G&L legacy is custom shop or not?

Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:46 pm

To add to Jos' post:

The G&L Custom Shop started building instruments in late 2017 to be ready for the official announcement of G&L's Custom Shop at the 2018 Winter NAMM show.
The Serial Numbering for most Custom Shop instruments are in this form: "CSYYMM###", see: Serial number significance.
You will see that the Custom Shop built 40th Anniversary instruments have a slight difference in the Serial Number format.

Hope this helps.