S500 neck replacement aftermarket? 4 bolt?

Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:02 am

I have a worthless 80s S500 neck. I think the truss rod is inop. It has no effect, there is a bow a twist and a curve in it, that is, it has 3D shape problems. What aftermarket necks will fit the pocket? Would a 4 bolt fit if I drilled the lower hole? I was going to cannibalize an SC3 but dont feel right about it. Thanx for any help.

I have another S500 and its neck with a bow/curve in it, I think they werent very good. None of my other G&Ls of the same period have these problems. Comments?

Re: S500 neck replacement aftermarket? 4 bolt?

Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:02 pm

Twangshui wrote:I have a worthless 80s S500 neck. I think the truss rod is inop. It has no effect, there is a bow a twist and a curve in it, that is, it has 3D shape problems. What aftermarket necks will fit the pocket? Would a 4 bolt fit if I drilled the lower hole? I was going to cannibalize an SC3 but dont feel right about it. Thanx for any help.

I have another S500 and its neck with a bow/curve in it, I think they werent very good. None of my other G&Ls of the same period have these problems. Comments?

To my knowledge, there are no aftermarket necks available for G&L instruments. You best option is to post a Want Ad for a 3-bolt S-500 neck on the Marketplace or your local craigslist. Check eBay for a G&L 80s neck, but be aware that there are sellers that part out G&L Tributes and the 4-bolt neck will not fit properly. I also advise against trying to use a USA made G&L 4-bolt neck.

If you know any good guitar luthiers, they might be able to fix the truss rod adjustment and revive your neck.

Hope this helps.

Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:05 am

Try Warmoth Custom Guitar Parts. They make all sorts of neck designs. They may have something you can use.

Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:06 am

pacrat1340 wrote:Try Warmoth Custom Guitar Parts. They make all sorts of neck designs. They may have something you can use.

Just make sure that it is built specifically for your G&L body, otherwise it will not fit properly.
If anyone does find an aftermarket source, please do post the information on this source.

Thanks.

Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:52 am

You can also try going off the Links button at the top of this page and go to www.freenotemusic.com they make custom necks for G&L, USA and Tribute.