Bad Truss rod/ neck? Legacy USA

Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:54 am

So i bought a amazing used 2011 G&L legacy from GC used. Got a good deal and man is it a player! Came from CA to Michigan so i let it get some humidity (48% currently inside) and no change. 10ga daddarios

When I first got it the nut was loose and strings were too low got it to G&l spec .012 at the 8th fret easy enough.

Needs some frets leveled up high due to a minor ski ramp but not bad. Ill have my tech do that.

But in checking the truss rod in tightening it bottoms out very quick and will give me .010 i know some spacers can fix that but what i am worried about is fulllllllly loose i can only get .020 at the 8th fret.

Does this seem like too little of travel for a rod? Particularly full loose? I can return it still. I dont want to be burned say come summer and more humidity i cant get neck to foward bow enough. Am i being paranoid? Seems like my other guitars have much more up bow travel......

Re: Bad Truss rod/ neck? Legacy USA

Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:51 pm

Afireinside wrote:So i bought a amazing used 2011 G&L legacy from GC used. Got a good deal and man is it a player! Came from CA to Michigan so i let it get some humidity (48% currently inside) and no change. 10ga daddarios

When I first got it the nut was loose and strings were too low got it to G&l spec .012 at the 8th fret easy enough.

Needs some frets leveled up high due to a minor ski ramp but not bad. Ill have my tech do that.

But in checking the truss rod in tightening it bottoms out very quick and will give me .010 i know some spacers can fix that but what i am worried about is fulllllllly loose i can only get .020 at the 8th fret.

Does this seem like too little of travel for a rod? Particularly full loose? I can return it still. I dont want to be burned say come summer and more humidity i cant get neck to foward bow enough. Am i being paranoid? Seems like my other guitars have much more up bow travel......

See these posts for details on the non-compression truss rod which was introduced in mid 2006:
Bilaminate neck - what year did they stop making them
The G&L non-compression truss rod
About the truss rod

Also, here is the intruction sheet on adjusting the non-compression truss rod:

Hope this helps.