what year is my SC-3??

Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:22 pm

Greetings all - I think at least a few of you will enjoy this story.

In the fall of 1987 my parents gave me my first guitar for my birthday... a bright red G&L SC-3. I had it for a few years but sold it to a friend when I moved on to an Ibanez and then to Fenders.

Here is the cool part of this story... I spoke to the friend a few weeks ago and he still had it! Yesterday I went to his house and bought it back from him, along with my first amp, a peavey rage.

Now the interesting part, the dating of the guitar - the neck is dated 1986... but the body is dated 1983. Can anybody tell me why the big difference in manufacturing date for these 2 pcs and if there is any significance?

looking forward to any feedback you guys can give.

regards,
~Steve

Re: what year is my SC-3??

Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:50 am

Steve:

Three years seems very long for a body to sit around a factory waiting to be assembled with a neck. Are you positive that 1983 is not really 1985?

Could this have been a case of a neck replacement?

Was the guitar new or used when your parents gave it to you? This may help you narrow in on the answer.

We can speculate why there is a three year difference but I do not know if you will ever have a definite answer.

I'm glad that you were able to get your SC-3 back. I have a red one as well (2nd body style) which I have promised to my daughter. I dont play it much, my 97 ASAT is my main guitar.

Tom

Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:03 am

Tom- the guitar was brand new. They had a blue one too. I liked them both. Positive the date stamp said 1983, I didn't even notice the month because I was so focused on the year. There are flaws in both the body and neck that are still there that tell me my friend didn't have the neck replaced too. Its 100% my baby.

Thanks forr your thoughts... I would be happy to hear any other info if you think of anything.

~Steve

Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:40 am

Do you have any pictures of the guitar you could share. There are probably clues there. If the body is '83, I wonder if it's the first "Mustang" body style - which is rare. - Ed

Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:12 am

It's in the shop for a tune up. I'll post pics when I get her back. ~Steve

Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:15 pm

You need to either find a different shop or post pictures! pronto. I'm actually curious! ;+) - ed