Legacy Tribute Replacement Necks

Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:10 pm

I have some <what appears to be> significant fret wear on my Legacy Tribute. I'll be taking it to a luthier about a possible fret leveling. I also saw a seller on ebay that is selling a couple of Legacy Tribute necks. Mine is Indonesian made (2008). The ebay seller's are also both Indonesian made (2010 and 2015). Would either/both be compatible with my guitar?

Re: Legacy Tribute Replacement Necks

Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:39 pm

ajb625 wrote:I have some <what appears to be> significant fret wear on my Legacy Tribute. I'll be taking it to a luthier about a possible fret leveling. I also saw a seller on ebay that is selling a couple of Legacy Tribute necks. Mine is Indonesian made (2008). The ebay seller's are also both Indonesian made (2010 and 2015). Would either/both be compatible with my guitar?

Yes, they would be compatible.

Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:43 pm

Thanks for the quick answer! Are there any tricks/pitfalls in removing & replacing the neck? It's not a task I've taken on before, but it looks simple enough...remove bolts, remove neck, place new neck in place, re-bolt. Any more to it than that?

Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:18 pm

Hi ajb625,

Yer on the right track for replacement neck. My only recommendation is if the neck/body joint is tight slowly remove the neck. You can slowly rock the neck to loosen for removal. You risk chipping the body pocket of neck removal is done too quickly. You may also want to use soap or wax on the screws prior to running into the screw holes to help them go in easier. Keep the Traveling Willbury’s in mind, “Handle with Care”! ;)

I just replaced a Tribby neck last month (Legacy neck on ASAT P90) and have built two Tribby ASAT partscasters and VERY pleased with all.

Let us know how it goes and post pics. :alright:

Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:11 pm

Hi Sam...

Thanks for the advice. If I end up going replacement, I'll be sure to summon up my inner Wilbury! For the soap...simple liquid dish-style soap?

Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:47 pm

Wax and soap would be like candle wax and bar soap.

Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:06 am

Got it. Thanks!