Help me to know more about this Legacy Leo Fender signature

Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:25 pm

Hi to everyone,
I just found this guitar on sale a couple of weeks ago. In my opinion is aestheticaly impressive. But after a deep search I'm confused about some of its specs.
It's listed as a 1997 USA Legacy custom but the headstock doesn't show the model nor the serial number on its back. And it has a Leo Fender signature decal on it. I've been looking for some similar model with no luck.
It's neck has three bolts, sprezel tuners and a Ray Gerold custom humbucker on the bridge.
In it's certificate of authenticity only appears a serial number with no CLF, CL, G or any other letter, just a serial number handwritted: 52706

As I'm waiting for more info from the seller, what is your opinion about this guitar? do you think it's a original 1997 USA Legacy or has been modified? And what about the three bolts? are this guitars less stable?

I do appreciate your opinion.

Last edited by ipetrus on Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Help me to know more about this Legacy Leo Fender signat

Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:28 pm

ipetrus wrote:Hi to everyone,
I just found this guitar on sale a couple of weeks ago. In my opinion is aestheticaly impressive. But after a deep search I'm confused about some of its specs.
It's listed as a 1997 USA Legacy custom but the headstock doesn't show the model nor the serial number on its back. And it has a Leo Fender signature decal on it. I've been looking for some similar model with no luck.
It's neck has three bolts, sprezel tuners and a Ray Gerold custom humbucker on the bridge.
In it's certificate of authenticity only appears a serial number with no CLF, CL, G or any other letter, just a serial number handwritted: 52706

As I'm waiting for more info from the seller, what is your opinion about this guitar? do you think it's a original 1997 USA Legacy or has been modified? And what about the three bolts? are this guitars less stable?

I do appreciate your opinion.

Here are your images, I had to download and resize them:

Here are my comments:

The neck and middle pickup are S-500 pickups (MFD single-coil), so I would consider the model as being an S-500 with an aftermarket
humbucker pu not done at the factory. It could have been an Employee built guitar.

The COA is normal, they leave off the "G0" prefix. The full serial number should be stamped on the neck plate.
Full S/N should be G052706. I checked our G&L Registry and that S/N has not be registered here.
I emailed a contact at the factory to get the factory logbook detail on the S/N.

Stay tuned.

Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:57 am

Very thank you for your comments, Craig. And also for your help with the pics.
Will be waiting for your news.

Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:01 pm

I heard back from Memo:

Hi Craig,
I think it is an employee build, nothing comes up for that particular serial number.

Best Regards,
Memo Romero
SERVICE MANAGER

Hope this helps.