G&L S-500 with a Bass SN

Wed May 13, 2020 3:00 pm

I have a G&L S-500 that I purchased from a friend back around 2003. I don't know much about it, though it has been a great guitar for many years. I recently started doing some research on the guitar and found that it has a serial number that would normally be reserved for a G&L bass (B052993). I seem to remember something about this from many years ago, but I'd love to find out more. Is this rare? Does is increase (or decrease) the value? Is it not a real G&L? I just don't really know! Any and all information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrew

Re: G&L S-500 with a Bass SN

Wed May 13, 2020 3:39 pm

arwebb87 wrote:I have a G&L S-500 that I purchased from a friend back around 2003. I don't know much about it, though it has been a great guitar for many years. I recently started doing some research on the guitar and found that it has a serial number that would normally be reserved for a G&L bass (B052993). I seem to remember something about this from many years ago, but I'd love to find out more. Is this rare? Does is increase (or decrease) the value? Is it not a real G&L? I just don't really know! Any and all information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrew

Hello. Can you post a picture of it? Where on the guitar is the serial number?
David

Re: G&L S-500 with a Bass SN

Wed May 13, 2020 6:11 pm

arwebb87 wrote:I have a G&L S-500 that I purchased from a friend back around 2003. I don't know much about it, though it has been a great guitar for many years. I recently started doing some research on the guitar and found that it has a serial number that would normally be reserved for a G&L bass (B052993). I seem to remember something about this from many years ago, but I'd love to find out more. Is this rare? Does is increase (or decrease) the value? Is it not a real G&L? I just don't really know! Any and all information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrew

Yes, it is a real G&L.

Many 3-bolt guitar neck plates in the range of 52000 to 55000 were mis-stamped with a B-prefix instead of the
usual G-prefix. It was a vendor mistake and the plates were used rather than wasting them.

Reference post: Serial number significance in this sub-forum.

No, not rare, we have 123 registered 6 string G&L guitars with those neck plates in our G&L Registry.
It is doubtful that they add any value to those instruments.

Hope this helps.