ASAT Bass unfinished body only,

Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:06 am

Several years back I came across an ASAT bass body. Completely unfinished it was a black Leo Fender signature body. All the wiring looks to be there just unfinished. I got it from a member of tbgene englehardt family. After his passing. Was said to be in his workshop at home. How can I date it or check to see if it was anything different from the norm.

Re: ASAT Bass unfinished body only,

Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:17 pm

sssassano wrote:Several years back I came across an ASAT bass body. Completely unfinished it was a black Leo Fender signature body. All the wiring looks to be there just unfinished. I got it from a member of tbgene englehardt family. After his passing. Was said to be in his workshop at home. How can I date it or check to see if it was anything different from the norm.

Post photos of the body (front and back), neck pocket, control cavity and pickup routes. If there is a date stamp in the neck pocket that would be the body date. See this post and look for the link to the Tutorial: posting photos post: Welcome! Read This First.

Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:25 pm

G&L Asat unfinished bass body https://imgur.com/gallery/3Bm6635

Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:57 am

sssassano wrote:G&L Asat unfinished bass body https://imgur.com/gallery/3Bm6635

Here are your photos resized, so they can be posted in-line:

This is a Signature ASAT Bass body (Alder wood).
The body build date looks to be Jan. 26, 1992.

Hope this helps.

Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:36 pm

Yes, just seems odd this body has been sitting around since 92 and never finished.

Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:50 pm

sssassano wrote:Yes, just seems odd this body has been sitting around since 92 and never finished.

This is could be the reason:

1992 "No More Signature Series" Letter:

There would have been leftover unused Signature bodies in the factory when the Signature Series was discontinued per the the above letter to dealers.

Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:15 pm

Oh wow, never even heard about that, well even more reason to finish the body with a Tele neck. Thank you for the info as nd your time.

Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:34 pm

sssassano wrote:Oh wow, never even heard about that, well even more reason to finish the body with a Tele neck. Thank you for the info as nd your time.

That's a cool body, even more-so with it's connection to Gene E.
Maybe you could find an old(or new) G&L neck for it.

cheers