Beer gut reliever on ASAT

Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:11 pm

One of the very few things I don't like about Telecasters is the fact that they are so, well, slab-like. George and Leo's later Stratocaster is much more comfortable to play because of its sculpted body, especially the contoured back. This is especially important as I age, since my, ahem, beer gut seems to be expanding. :oops:

Imagine my delight when I spotted an ASAT the other day that had a contoured body! It was beautiful and comfortable...and sold to somebody else! @#$#@! :BangBang:

Thank you, George and Leo! :banana:

Does G&L have a specific name or model for contour- body ASATs so I'll know what to look for or to order? Are there any drawback to these bodies?

Re: Beer gut reliever on ASAT

Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:32 pm

I have heard it referred to as a tummy cut. You can also get a cut on the front for your arm. It does have a drawback. The guitar is lighter and causes similar problems as beer. The reduced weight causes us to burn less calories while playing and we may get more of a tummy while playing. This may require us to get even a deeper tummy cut. Someone may know of a model that has them but you can custom order them. My Blues Boy Mahogany has the front arm cut and my some of my Fender Teles have the tummy cut. I like it! At my age, weight makes a difference, hence the preference for the aluminum can. Another fine invention!-- Darwin :happy0065:

Re: Beer gut reliever on ASAT

Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:13 pm

alaskafingers wrote:Does G&L have a specific name or model for contour- body ASATs so I'll know what to look for or to order? Are there any drawback to these bodies?

Yes, G&L calls them front and rear contouring. Only the rear contouring is listed as an option, but I'm pretty sure
front contouring can be option ordered, too. These options are only available on solid bodies without binding.

My most comfortable ASAT style bodied guitar is the 25th Anniversary which has both front and rear contouring.

Hope this helps.