Logbook Questions

Mon May 20, 2019 8:13 pm

So Gabe Dellevigne helped me obtain a copy of my F100's original logbook entry; in a recent thread I saw G&L posted a photo of their original logbook, which brought a few questions to mind on the logbook generally, and my instrument specifically:

-Does anyone know what the 'Inv. #' Means? Why would my instrument (highlighted) have another apparent Inv. number pencilled next to the serial (the 2825 seems almost in sequence with my instrument?)

-What's the meaning of 'RR 6824 ?' I attempted to look up G006824 in the online registry, but no such instrument is registered. Alternately - is this possibly a typo? If this really means '2824 ' it could again possibly be an Inv. number, that happens to be in sequence with both the one listed for my instrument, and the other one penciled-in

-Any idea what 'PO # ' means?

-Finally: Who in total has access to the logbook? It would appear G&L has the original and Gabe somehow got copies? Are they split or separate?

Re: Logbook Questions

Tue May 21, 2019 8:16 am

Danley wrote:-Does anyone know what the 'Inv. #' Means? Why would my instrument (highlighted) have another apparent Inv. number pencilled next to the serial (the 2825 seems almost in sequence with my instrument?)

Two things.
1- Serial numbers were not used in order. Your serial number likely is on the bridge and when the parts were delivered from the OEM, the were just thrown into a bin and pulled out like lottery tickets out of a high hat.
2- The Purchase Order (PO) # is the dealer invoice fulfilled (in part) by delivering the guitar. Remember that G&L had 2 parts in Leos's days, G&L Musical Product Inc. and G&L Music Sales Inc. where the former built the instruments ordered and delivered to the latter. G&L Sales would then ship the instruments to the dealers. The Inv. # is related to the process of the sales organization ordering and paying for instruments delivered by the factory. (I might reverse the meaning of PO# and INV#, not entirely sure which is what, but the gist is the same).

Danley wrote:What's the meaning of 'RR 6824 ?' I attempted to look up G006824 in the online registry, but no such instrument is registered. Alternately - is this possibly a typo? If this really means '2824 ' it could again possibly be an Inv. number, that happens to be in sequence with both the one listed for my instrument, and the other one penciled-in

I believe 'RR" stands for Return Receipt. Must be G006824 was returned for repair or replacement.

Danley wrote:-Finally: Who in total has access to the logbook? It would appear G&L has the original and Gabe somehow got copies? Are they split or separate?

Indeed G&L has one copy of the original sales log. Dale Hyatt took the other copy with him when he retired in November 1991. The sales log in effect consist of 4 parts: All guitars ('G0#####'), all basses (B0#####), Broadcasters (BC0#####), and Commemeriatives but only the first few because most were built after Dale's retirement. I know that Gabe has at least copies of large parts but not sure whether he has all. After Dale passed away, large part of his estate related to G&L, including what I consider to be the only true original sales log, was bought by a private party.

- Jos

Tue May 21, 2019 8:37 am

Thanks for the insight - Now I'm curious to know the spec. and date of G006824 ; so when I feel like a pest maybe I'll bother Gabe (or G&L) about it. My neck has a 1982 date, but the body stamp is dark and illegible. The black hardware and G&L-brand tuners seem to point to '83 manufacture so either 6824 was an earlier instrument that received a full replacement, or was built in close proximity to whatever repair it received when it got the new serial on the bridge.

Tue May 21, 2019 10:04 am

Regarding the early factory and sales logbooks, do a Search here using the keyword "logbook" to see past posts with
references to the logbooks.

Here is one in particular which tells you who currently owns Dale's logbook(s) and who owns the referenced guitar: G028886 prototype Last instrument created by Leo Fender.

Hope this helps.