Fake G&L?

Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:12 am

I bought used G&L Legacy, but it doesn't have specification sheet of certificate of authenticity. Serial number in the weird place.
How can I find out, is it real and country of production? - the seller claims its USA made.
Do they shield guitars on factory (almost rhetorical question) or is it someone was too bored and too smart?

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Re: Fake G&L?

Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:23 pm

One thing that you can do is email G&L's workshop with that serial number, and they can tell you the build configuration. If it matches what you see that would be a good sign.

Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:25 pm

bkmz wrote:I bought used G&L Legacy, but it doesn't have specification sheet of certificate of authenticity. Serial number in the weird place.
How can I find out, is it real and country of production? - the seller claims its USA made.
Do they shield guitars on factory (almost rhetorical question) or is it someone was too bored and too smart?

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

It looks legit and was made at the Fullerton, CA, USA factory. The serial number was located in a non-standard place, but the comment on the
neck heel about no CLF (serial number) on neck would explain why. I have emailed a copy of this post to one of my contacts at G&L to find out
why this was requested.

Some identifying items which tells me it was a US made Legacy are:

-Headstock model decal with USA underneath.
-CLF serial number is USA only. (see Serial number significance post located in the G&L Knowledgebase Forum.)
-Body color "SPANISH COPPER METALLIC" is a USA only finish.

There was no Specification sheet in 2006; they started them in February 2011. You can order a replacement Certificate of Authenticity from the G&L On-Line Store,
see: https://g-l-online-store.myshopify.com/ ... thenticity.

Factory shielding is done on the underside of the pickguard, under the pots and pickup switch.

I hope to hear from Dave M. about why the serial number was requested to be relocated some time next week.

Hope this helps and stay tuned.

Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:44 am

Craig wrote:I hope to hear from Dave M. about why the serial number was requested to be relocated some time next week.

Any news?

Craig wrote:Factory shielding is done on the underside of the pickguard, under the pots and pickup switch.

This one shielded with an aluminium foil.
ImageImage

Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:23 am

bkmz wrote:
Craig wrote:I hope to hear from Dave M. about why the serial number was requested to be relocated some time next week.

Any news?

Craig wrote:Factory shielding is done on the underside of the pickguard, under the pots and pickup switch.

This one shielded with an aluminium foil.
ImageImage

I doubt that the shielding was done at the factory. My guess would be that a previous owner did it or had it done.
I'm also thinking that the original factory pickguard may have been a 3-ply black guard. My reasoning is that the back trem springs cover is 3-ply black.

I did hear from Dave McLaren awhile ago:

Hi Craig, unfortunately I can’t find that guitar. The six digits of sharpie didn’t turn into a sales order number so I was flying blind. Serial number of course comes up blank any which way I try to find it. Anyway, It could be sales wanted so see something with the serial on the body to spare the neck swap serial number headache.

I have no idea, as fact was lost with whoever first collected money for it, and doubt it was me if you get my drift.

I had also emailed a couple of factory people to see if they remember this guitar, but have not heard any word from them, so far.

One interesting (maybe) note about the finish on this guitar and the body date (June 21, 2006): Spanish Copper Metallic was not released as a standard color until March 2008.
It is possible that the body was used a test platform for this color. Of course, this just speculation ... no one really knows at this point.

If you are willing to look under the shielding in the pickup route, you might find additional information about this body and If there is a sales order number under there,
Dave would be able to trace it from that number. Just a thought.

As far as I can tell, this is NOT a fake G&L. It could be an undocumented employee guitar or sold out the back door?

Can you tell us about how you acquired this guitar?

Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:37 pm

Craig wrote:Spanish Copper Metallic was not released as a standard color until March 2008.

The guy who sold me a guitar called this color Tangerine Metallic
Craig wrote:I'm also thinking that the original factory pickguard may have been a 3-ply black guard.

And he told pickguard was white and glossy - he changed it. But if it was white, does that mean that pickup covers and knobs should be white as well?
Do a string retainer should be plastic? On some photos it's metallic.

Dave McLaren wrote:Serial number of course comes up blank any which way I try to find it.

So, it's mean there is no way of getting a Certificate of Authenticity? :)

Craig wrote:Can you tell us about how you acquired this guitar?

I bought it in Russia (is's where I live) from a guy from the internet. Three years ago his friend bought guitar in the USA and sold it to him.

The guitar is pretty used and far from perfect condition as the seller claimed. If it's not fake - I just restore it and start having fun. Otherwise, I should try to return it.

Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:03 am

bkmz wrote:
Craig wrote:Spanish Copper Metallic was not released as a standard color until March 2008.

The guy who sold me a guitar called this color Tangerine Metallic
Craig wrote:I'm also thinking that the original factory pickguard may have been a 3-ply black guard.

And he told pickguard was white and glossy - he changed it. But if it was white, does that mean that pickup covers and knobs should be white as well?
Do a string retainer should be plastic? On some photos it's metallic.

Dave McLaren wrote:Serial number of course comes up blank any which way I try to find it.

So, it's mean there is no way of getting a Certificate of Authenticity? :)

Craig wrote:Can you tell us about how you acquired this guitar?

I bought it in Russia (is's where I live) from a guy from the internet. Three years ago his friend bought guitar in the USA and sold it to him.

The guitar is pretty used and far from perfect condition as the seller claimed. If it's not fake - I just restore it and start having fun. Otherwise, I should try to return it.

The body color is definitely Spanish Copper Metallic not Tangerine Metallic.

See these examples of both colors and you should be able to tell the difference:

Spanish Copper Metallic
Tangerine Metallic

Regarding the knobs and pickup covers, they are option items and can be ordered separately from the pickguard.

Regarding the black string tree: it is likely a Graph-Tech graphite tree. These were stock trees in 2000-2009 (aprox.).
It looks like someone at some point moved the tree closer to the nut and then relocated it back to the factory location.

In my opinion, this guitar is a genuine G&L Fullerton, CA, USA factory built guitar, so go ahead and restore it to your liking and enjoy it.

Hope this helps.

Thu May 02, 2019 3:14 am

Craig wrote:If you are willing to look under the shielding in the pickup route, you might find additional information about this body and If there is a sales order number under there,
Dave would be able to trace it from that number. Just a thought.

Can it help somehow?
Pickguard color was creme?

I took it to luthier for fret replacement and fixing everything else.

Thu May 02, 2019 7:42 am

bkmz wrote:Image
Can it help somehow?

Correct. Ivory finish, rosewood fingerboard (RW), painted headstock (PH), creme pickguard, creme knobs. Clearly a reworked body and a different neck as indicated, as the latter is missing the painted headstock.

- Jos

Thu May 02, 2019 9:15 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:
bkmz wrote:Image
Can it help somehow?

Correct. Ivory finish, rosewood fingerboard (RW), painted headstock (PH), creme pickguard, creme knobs. Clearly a reworked body and a different neck as indicated, as the latter is missing the painted headstock.

- Jos

Here is my thought based upon these notes in the pickup cavity:

This was originally marked for a Legacy Standard (Fullerton Standard Series).
At that time they used the Ivory name for Vintage White and the rest of the notes match the Legacy Standard (labelled as "Leg S").
Here is the 3/2006 Internet Archive link for the Legacy Standard on the G&L main website: http://web.archive.org/web/200603270251 ... /index.asp

My next thought is that the body was not used for some reason and sat in the factory for some time. Sometime later, the body got used
as a test body for the upcoming Spanish Copper Metallic finish which was released in 2008. Perhaps they use vintage white as a base color
for Spanish Copper Metallic. The next time I visit the factory, I will ask Malcolm (longtime Master painter) if this is a possiblility.

Since there is no sales order number in the body pickup route, Dave will not be able to trace it further.