View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Does anyone have a G&L COMMEMORATIVE (October 1991) 

Post Does anyone have a G&L COMMEMORATIVE (October 1991)
There are only 350 of these in the world and only 72 registered so obviously it's hard to find any references to them on the web, it would be nice to be able to find a forum or even a thread where owners could get together and discuss these rare birds. :banana:

Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:37 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Does anyone have a G&L COMMEMORATIVE (October 1991)
felixq78 wrote:
There are only 350 of these in the world and only 72 registered so obviously it's hard to find any references to them on the web, it would be nice to be able to find a forum or even a thread where owners could get together and discuss these rare birds. :banana:

Well, I do think you found the right forum and it would appear that you just started the thread. :lol:

Welcome to the G&LDP :greet:

Current G&L Specifications and Options

Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:10 pm
Profile WWW

Hi, I might have a couple of those. They may be the least discussed G&L out there. They don't get played much because of their collectibility. (and it's tough to keep the fingerprints cleaned off the gold) What would you like to know?

Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:56 am

Tim Buffalo Bros wrote:
My feeling is most have been kept in closets, in vaults, under beds in the case, or tucked away safely in some other manner in hopes that overtime or at some point in the future they would prove to be highly valued. I get the impression most bought soley from an investors standpoint instead of a played instrument. There are several G&L dealers I know who bought them and they never made it to the sales floor as the owners put them aside to their private collections.

Regards,
Tim
[/color]

There is nothing sadder than an unplayed guitar :(

Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:17 am

Post G&L COMMEMORATIVE
The G&L Commemorative guitar. Designed and built by the G&L factory to honor Mr. Leo Fender for a lifetime of innovation and dedication to musicians and their instruments.
There is a good piece on the G&L Commemorative by Mr. Greg Gagliano at http://www.ggjaguar.com/commem.htm.
As stated by Mr.Tim Page, many of these Commemorative guitars never made it to the showroom floor. Many dealers and those that did get thier hands on one of these simply put them away and they remain virtually unplayed. Supposedly there were 350 Commemorative guitars built but according to George Fullertons book, there were only 250 guitars and 150 Commemorative basses manufactured. Exactly how many was actually realized is unclear. The production run was intended to be 1000 guitars but due to pending litigation by FMIC over the use of the Leo Fender name, the agreement reduced the total amount to 500 guitars. Some of this production quantity was used for Commemorative basses. Although the reduction in the total quantity of guitars was realized, the neck plates were all stamped XXXX of 1000. It's been stated that in the early nineties G&L offered to replace the neckplate with the proper serial number and ending with "of 350". I know of no G&L Commemorative owners that took advantage of this offer. As Greg Gagliano points out, seven of the guitars were made of Austrailan Lacewood and mahogany. It was soon found that these Lacewood versions were cost prohibitive and the body was changed to a cherry sunburst swamp ash design. Of the seven Lacewoods, five were built prior to Mr. Dale Hyatts retirement on Nov.4 1991, one seven days later and the final one approx. four months later. These rare Lacewood versions were kept as prized possesions by Leo Fenders lifelong friends and partners Dale Hyatt, George Fullerton, and a few key employees. The seventh and final one was presented to Mrs. Phyllis Fender on April 10 1992. Attached to it is a plaque stating "From the people of G&L to Mrs. Phyllis Fender with great affection and respect" It's highlighted in George Fullertons first book. Five of the cherry sunburst guitars were built before Nov 4 1991 and are considered pre BBE. The prototype for the Commemorative is based on the Asat Classic which is the last model Leo Fender designed that made it to production. At this point the graphics on the headstock hadn't been decided on yet and was still carrying the Asat Classic logo. The first prototype decals on the upper bout that stated the birth and death dates of Leo Fender did not have the long stem black and white rose. It did however, have the word Commemorative between the name and the dates. Interestingly enough, one of the dates was off by one year and stated 1910-1991. It was later corrected to 1909-1991 and the "Commemorative" was removed from the body and placed on the headstock which is how they appear on the production run guitars. It was at this point the rose was added to the body. All of the hardware is gold plated including the pickup poles and strings. The only options on the Commemorative was a #1 or #2 neck profile, a rosewood, maple, or a very rare ebony fingerboard. Sometime in 1992, the Commemoratives were sent from the factory with the new certification papers signed by Phyllis Fender. The end of the production run for the Commemorative guitar was May 1993. While most of these guitars see very little play time, quite often the owners still consider their Commemorative as the centerpiece of their G&L collection.
[url]Image

Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:27 pm
Site Admin

HLG,

Great information and pictures you've posted here! Did not know about the different upper horn decals.
I'm going to copy this into the Knowledgebase.

Thanks

Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:05 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I found this post by Gabe (GPD) on the G&LDP on April 12, 2007, in response to a question
about how much a Commemorative guitar a member had acquired was worth:

All G&L Commemorative guitars were built after Leo Fender's passing...thus the model
name "Commemorative" which is commemorating or remembering Leo Fender.

The concept of the model was largely put together by Dale Hyatt (Former Co-Owner of G&L Musical
Sales and long time friend and employee of Leo Fender) and Lloyd Chewning (Now deceased but
former shop floor supervisor). The prototype of this instrument was completed on 9/9/1991. The first
batch of production Commemoratives were finished on 10/17/1991.

The initial intent was to build 1,000 of these guitars as evidenced by the special neck plate. Dale Hyatt
retired and sold off his ownership of G&L in early November, 1991. The new owner of G&L (BBE) had
to contend with a legal action brought against them by Fender and part of the settlement was that they
would knock down the volume of guitars from 1,000 to 350 and then they added a Commemorative bass
model to be produced in a volume of 150 instruments. In a letter from BBE to the G&L dealers dated from
2/11/1993, production on the Commemorative series would be halted by May 1993.

Now...what about values?

Well, that just depends. Numbers 1 through 12 are the only Commemoratives built prior to BBE taking
over G&L. These are very hard to locate and procure and they tend to have a higher price tag than #13
on up. The most rare, desireable and expensive Commemorative models are those built with the special
lacewood/mahogany/lacewood body construction. Numbers 1,2,3,5 and 9 are the most sought after and
expensive. There were two lacewood Commemorative's made after the BBE acquisition one is
#26 (John Rodriguez) and #69 (Leo's widow). Most of the Lacewood guitars were made for "special" people
at G&L (Like Dale Hyatt, George Fullerton, Lloyd Chewning, etc.).

The Mahogany lacewood guitars carry with them "what the market will bear" price tags...and those
numbers are pretty steep depending on who owns it. They are nowhere near as expensive as say a
late 50's Gibson burst Les Paul or even a 50's Fender Tele or Strat...but pretty excessive none the less
when you consider what other rare G&L's will fetch.

The remainder of the Commemoratives have a cherryburst finish over an ash body. Where 350 actually
produced? I have no clue...I've never physically seen one with a serial number numerically higher than the
200 range...and I've run across a bunch of them over the years.

The pre-BBE cherryburst/ash guitars are so low in numbers that you rarely ever see them for sale though
Greg Gagliano nabbed one of them not too long ago off of E-Bay for a very reasonable sum (below $2K).

Most of what you will run across with be the BBE era Commemoratives...often the seller is too optimistic
about what they have and they ask for prices north of $3K...but never sell the guitars. Dealers tend to list
them for sale north of $2,200 depending on condition and completeness.

Every once in a while you'll see one for sale from a private party in the $1,500-$1,750 range...

For such a rare guitar...I find it interesting that they are not hard to find. Most of them still remain in
unplayed dead mint condition. I think a lot of speculators tucked them away waiting for a big payday.

They are beautiful and they are well built...there is no denying this reality. You won't see anybody playing
one out at a gig though.

My guess is you have a BBE era Commemorative with a cherryburst finish over ash body...value? Without
seeing the guitar I'll just give you a range...

Dead Mint with OHSC and case candy: $2,300
Average with OHSC: $1,650
Beater, no case: $800

BTW, I've never see a "beater" Commemorative...and highly doubt you ever will.

Hope this helps,

Gabe

Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:48 pm
Profile WWW

Wow, it's great to find so many who have them, My one SN # 17 of 350 is in immaculate condition and yes,..the gold pick guard is a bugger to keep clean but it's worth the effort, they are a beautiful instrument and they sound great. In my view they are the Telecaster as Leo and George intended them to be and would be if Leo hadn't sold Fender way back.
I found it in my local guitar shop, "Wild Horse Guitars" at Surry Hills in Sydney. A great guitar shop they don't deal in crap but still manage to have a nice inventory of good quality entry level axes as well as the quality stuff.
It's funny how we tend to keep them packed away. I had a nice MIM Tele that I'd fitted with a pair of Brierley custom made pups, it sounded and felt great so I'd keep it out and play it rather than the G & L. The same with my Historic '56 Goldtop but now that I've been forced to sell the Tele it looks like the G&L is the main axe.
What amps do you all prefer to use with the ASAT.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:13 pm

sirmyghin wrote:
Tim Buffalo Bros wrote:
My feeling is most have been kept in closets, in vaults, under beds in the case, or tucked away safely in some other manner in hopes that overtime or at some point in the future they would prove to be highly valued. I get the impression most bought soley from an investors standpoint instead of a played instrument. There are several G&L dealers I know who bought them and they never made it to the sales floor as the owners put them aside to their private collections.

Regards,
Tim
[/color]

There is nothing sadder than an unplayed guitar :(

I agree, I remember when Clapton auctioned off all of his treasures, some went to collectors and I immediately has a mental picture of Blackie & Brownie or his Explorer sitting all alone in a glass case, NEVER to be played again mainly because some of these dudes can't play. It is truly a sad thing to occur especially when they had such busy lives.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:27 pm

Thanks for the great pics HLG, some great info too.
I haven't played at all since April when my health let me down and I had to go on sickness benefits temporarily.
Going from $50,000 PA to $14,000 meant I couldn't keep up with expenses and I was forced to hock my Les Paul.
It became obvious that I wasn't going to be able to redeem the axe and I might lose it. I fell into a deep depression and couldn't even look at an electric guitar without feeling suicidal let alone listen to or play one. I still had the ASAT but it's like the story of the shepherd who ignores all his sheep to search out the lost one, I was emotionally frozen. Anyway last week I found a solution and should have the Goldtop back within the month so, I'm back in the land of electric guitars, I can breath again.
Maybe I'm just crazy but I love my guitars and HATE pawn brokers, the scumbags live off the misery of fellow humans. $90 a month interest is immoral, they should be all closed down or at least have their rates brought right down. :shocked028: :banana:

Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:52 pm

Craig wrote:
felixq78 wrote:

Well, I do think you found the right forum and it would appear that you just started the thread. :lol:

Welcome to the G&LDP :greet:

Thanks for the friendly welcome.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:17 pm

Yes, I have one with the original case, sales tag and Authentication....

Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:43 am

Fryman wrote:
Yes, I have one with the original case, sales tag and Authentication....

prove it with a picture :D

Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:37 pm

I do, but until I just read this did not realize it was special other then being a great guitar. New to forum, not sure yet how to add pics. Serial number in the mid 200's and in pretty good shape. Owner since mid 90's, got it as a gift !

Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:02 am

I've been very ill with the Big C so I've been away for a while.
Anyway the story I heard that yes the first 11 were distributed amongst the higher ups and people connected to G& L family etc but after these there were plans no make 1000 guitars and basses, how many of each I don't know. Fender caught wind of it and threatened to sue because the was a facsimile of Leo's signature on the upper bout of each guitar and bass also Leo's signature was stamped on the bridge plate just under the model name. Fender claimed that it was a breach of the original contract which stated that Leo couldn't use the Fender name on any future instruments he made. The mean spirited bastards, they were made to celebrate his life and mourn his passing. That said rather than waste a pile of money on lawyers etc etc they stopped the run at 350 basses and guitars how many of each I don't know.
I haven't played for several years because of ill health but now I'm back on deck, that's why she looks so pristine. I'm very rusty but my callouses on my fingers are still there but it won't take long to get my chops back. I played her long enough to wear out those gold strings and the ones on her at the moment need replacing. It won't be hanging on the wall in a glass case that's for sure. :shocked028:

Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]