Fake G&L

Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:46 pm

Has anybody ever seen a G&L without a serial number on the neck? There is no serial number on body or neck. The pickups are not stock and the neck plate has no markings. Bought from large nationwide chain, but think I may have gotten stiffed.

Re: Fake G&L

Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:37 pm

Tobias525 wrote:Has anybody ever seen a G&L without a serial number on the neck? There is no serial number on body or neck. The pickups are not stock and the neck plate has no markings. Bought from large nationwide chain, but think I may have gotten stiffed.

Post some photos (front and back) so that we can see what you got. To post photos, see this post: Tutorial: Posting photos.

The early G&L instruments had their serial numbers stamped on the bridge. See: Serial number significance.

:searching:

Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:27 pm

Hi Tobias,

I happen to be awaiting a US made G&L without logo and S/N. The story there is that the waterslides came off from the headstock at some time. If they are on top of the finish, which can happen on a painted headstock, there is a chance of that. I know perfectly well what I got myself here.

But ...

... It is very uncommon and under ordinary circumstances it should give one pause if no S/L or logo can be found. There are plenty of example of people who have messed with foreign-build Trinute models so they can be flipped as US models. I am with Craig here. If you have a chance, post some pictures.

- Jos

Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:37 pm

Every fake guitar that I've ever seen (mainly Fenders) also had a fake serial number, so you would think that if someone was creating a fake, they would just put a serial number on it. As noted above, some models had the serial number on the bridge (my 94 Legacy does). If the bridge is not original, that might explain it. David