New G&L U.S. Model Categories ...

Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:16 pm

There are now four categories of U.S. models:
Fullerton Standard models [Note: This category was discontinued on 1/2020]
Fullerton Deluxe models
CLF Research models
Build To Order models

Check them out.
Last edited by Craig on Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:05 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Reason: Added note on Fullerton Standard models being discontinued on 1/2020. Option Order was changed to Build To Order.

Re: New G&L U.S. Model Categories ...

Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:49 am

Is it just me, or does this seem confusing? They should have a clear explaination about what the different categories are for. Counting Tributes, this makes four or so different categories that someone could order a guitar model with the same name.

I just don't think that more categories is something that people were calling out for.

Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:11 am

Yes, I think it may be a little confusing for customers...

Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:51 am

I'm sure glad I'm not shopping for a G&L right now as these catagories seem unnecessarily complicated. It was so simple previously. There was a list of models, and a list of options. Besides the build quality, the simplicity of ordering was one of the features that made G&L so attractive.

If I am reading this correctly, the Fullerton Standard and Fullerton Deluxe categories are very limited in their choices and options.
What is not clear is if the "Option Order" category is basically the same as what was in use previously.

It gets more complicated as G&L never has and still does not list MSRP pricing so you have to rely on an authorized dealer for that. There is no mention of what effect these new categories have on pricing. This makes it even more complicated for the dealers as well.

I can't figure out why G&L felt that this was necessary. Fixing something that was not broken.

Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:20 am

Looks to me like they are trying to simplify the manufacturing by reducing the number of combinations available for the standard and deluxe lines. Additionally the standard has lower spec color and case. It doesn't appear that the parts or build quality are any different than we have been used to. Theoretically this should allow them to build more guitars to "spec" and reduce the wait time and maybe price for customers if you want one of the "spec" builds. If not you can always do it the old fashioned way; contact a dealer, place an order, and wait a bit for delivery. I don't see a problem here.

Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:07 am

I also don't really see a problem. I hate that there's no way to sort the list on their website by model, but not going to bitch about a company for poor web design. The categories are mostly descriptive- 'Fullerton,' where the guitar is made, and the hierarchy Standard/Deluxe.

I get the impression G&L is trying to make 'CLF' a known marketing term, even though it's sort of obscure at the moment outside intense G&L circles. No harm. 'Option Order' is a bit awkward as they're basically saying 'the rest' without saying 'special order' or trying to imply they're necessarily premium models.

I mean I guess that's all fine as long as the instruments remain quality, but I would also be fine if they just said 'any model can be specced' and quietly shipped mostly guitars with a standardized set of features to dealers without calling it out.

Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:24 am

Here is what was sent to the G&L Dealers in yesterday's announcement:

Meet the New FULLERTON DELUXE Models

Fullerton Deluxe = More Value

The value delivered by Made-in-Fullerton G&L is legendary, just like the wide range of finishes, pickguards and other options offered by the factory. The new Fullerton Deluxe models pack some of the best combos on some of the most popular models, and deliver them with savings over our traditional G&L Option Order menu.

Fullerton Deluxe = More Convenience

Fullerton Deluxe is a result of listening to our dealers and overseas distributors.

We learned that while you appreciate the wide range of options the factory offers, you want more easy-to-manage Made-in-Fullerton instruments. We also learned that you like the convenience and added sales of Fullerton Standard models and you would like upscale models too.

That's why Fullerton Deluxe instruments have fixed specifications and SKUs, making them easy to inventory and re-order.

We learned that some retail customers prefer not to consider many available options, just a few choices is more comfortable for them.

That's why the Fullerton Deluxe range presents just a few elegant selections within each model.

Phase 1 of the Fullerton Deluxe range is focused on certain guitar models, with over 30 SKUs across 6 models. This fall, we plan to introduce Phase 2 of the Fullerton Deluxe range which will add basses and other guitar models. Each Fullerton Deluxe guitar is shipped with a traditional G&L Tolex case with plush lining [1/2020 see **NOTE below].

**NOTE: When the Fullerton Standard models were discontinued in 1/2020, the Fullerton Deluxe models changed to come with a G&L deluxe gig bag.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Craig on Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added NOTE regarding change to Fullerton Deluxe models after the Fullerton Standard models were discontinued

Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:21 pm

What's the price point on the new Fullerton Deluxe line?

Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:30 pm

Tooslowhand wrote:Looks to me like they are trying to simplify the manufacturing by reducing the number of combinations available for the standard and deluxe lines. Additionally the standard has lower spec color and case. It doesn't appear that the parts or build quality are any different than we have been used to. Theoretically this should allow them to build more guitars to "spec" and reduce the wait time and maybe price for customers if you want one of the "spec" builds. If not you can always do it the old fashioned way; contact a dealer, place an order, and wait a bit for delivery. I don't see a problem here.

This is what it looks like to me as well. In addition to standardizing manufacturing it could also make it easier for dealers if there is an available stock of standard guitars.

Have a set of guitars like everyone else does that the colors configuration for this year. This is standard & deluxe.

With option guitars you get more or less what you had before with the ability to specify the guitar you want and have it built.

Then you have the CLF guitars which I guess will hold historically interesting guitars? This is the only one that is a little not obvious for me.

Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:48 pm

pjr114 wrote:What's the price point on the new Fullerton Deluxe line?

You will need to contact a G&L dealer to discuss pricing. Reference post: GbL History & G&LDP/G&L Knowledgebase/Marketplace Guidelines.
Retail Prices: In keeping with G&L's own policy regarding publication of retail prices, please do NOT post
actual sale prices of new G&L/BBE instruments and products on this site. Example 1: "I found a new ASAT
for $699 - is this a good price?" Example 2: "How much did the '99 GbL_LE actually sell for?" Such posts will
be deleted or modified by the Admin. Posting prices on used instruments, is fine, just make it clear that
you are listing the price for a used instrument. If your post is not clear then the Admin will edit out the price.

Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:50 am

Oops. Sorry about that.

Last bumped by Craig on Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:50 am.