Bought 2 G&L Guitars, Want to find the Manufacturing Year

Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:50 am

Hello,
I bought an ASAT Classic AND a Legacy yesterday! :happy0065:

The guy said he thought the Legacy was around a '90 model (which after searching I found its actually post-1992 ????). But can't find any further info.
I really don't want to disassemble the guitars.

Can someone please help me with the age of these 2 guitars??

Serial Numbers: (ASAT): CLF33954
(Legacy): G035444

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
RZ

Re: Bought 2 G&L Guitars, Want to find the Manufacturing Year

Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:40 pm

From a search in the registry, the ASAT is build likely in late 2004 (my 2004 BB is S/N 33444) and the Legacy is likely late 1993. But be aware that G&L does not necessarily build serial numbers in order. What you do know for sure is that the Legacy is pre-1997 when G&L stopped using the 3-point bolted neck and changed to a scheme where S/N's would start with CL shortly changed into CLF in 1998.

Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:13 pm

I'm new to the forum and fairly new to G&Ls. I bought an S-500 that the previous owner thought was a 1998. However, from what I've read in other threads and the post above, this isn't likely since mine has a 3-bolt neck-plate.

Having only played old Fender Strats most of my 20+ years of playing (the last 15 with EMG pickups (not sure about that idea - maybe :BadIdea: ), I am still in the learning phase of how to work many aspects/features of the guitar.

Living in my single-guitar, active pickups bubble for so many years, I am very far behind in my knowledge of many of the components of the guitar right now, but first I want to pin down the date of manufacture so that I can guide my research from there.

The serial number is G042526 (as per the black, non-metal neck plate). It is a toss-up between a honey or clear orange finish - depending on the light and how I deal with the pictures before posting them) with a birdseye maple fretboard and neck and has the toggle for the enhanced pickup selection/combination.

Once I've figured out when it was made, I can start asking more intelligent questions rather than wasting anyone's time.

(BTW, I thought when I read about posting pictures I saw that it could now be done from one's computer rather than an online photo dump - which I don't use - so excuse the lack of photos.)

Phillip

Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:44 am

de Valcourt wrote:The serial number is G042526

Hi Phillip,

There are a couple of entries in the Registry with a S/N close to yours (G042522, G042528, G042529) which were all produced at the end of March '95. So yours is likely a (March) '95 too.

- Jos

Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:55 am

Many thanks. Well, that's a start toward learning how to adjust this beauty to my taste and style.

Phillip

Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:46 pm

de Valcourt wrote:Many thanks. Well, that's a start toward learning how to adjust this beauty to my taste and style.

Phillip

Also, see the G&L Knowledgebase, G&L General Questions sub-forum for this post: How do I determine an instrument's age?

In case you did not see this, we have a copy of the G&L Owner's manual in the Gallery.

Hope this helps.

Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:04 am

de Valcourt wrote:The serial number is G042526 (as per the black, non-metal neck plate).

(BTW, I thought when I read about posting pictures I saw that it could now be done from one's computer rather than an online photo dump - which I don't use - so excuse the lack of photos.)

Phillip

The neck plate IS metal and was powder-coated black.

Posting photos (copied from the guitarsbyleo.com History and G&LDP Guidelines):

Posting Photos: In order to share a GIF or JPEG image in a post on the G&LDP, the tricky part is that you have to actually have that photo located on a web server somewhere. That's actually not as complicated as it sounds, though - there are numerous services out there that will do this very thing for you and closely guide you through the process... take a look at Photobucket.com, Yahoo! Briefcase, Flickr, and PhotoPoint, for example (note: if you have other suggestions for free photo hosting services, please let me know so I can list them here). With the update to the new Gallery on guitarsbyleo.com, you can now upload G&L images to your own photo album and then post them here on the G&LDP. We do ask that you limit the photos you upload to G&L instrument images, as we do have a limited amount of disk space. For details on the Registered Users Gallery, take a look at the Registered Users Gallery.

(Important Note: some services like PhotoPoint let you create "photo albums"; in this case, when submitting a post, you'll want to use the URL tags so that you can include a link to your photo album. The instructions below only apply when you have the URL to a single GIF or JPEG image and would actually like to embed that image within your post.)

Anyway, once you've submitted the photo to one of these hosting services you'll be able to access it with your web browser by means of its URL (for example, http://www.myhostingservice.com/myusername/myphoto.jpg); the hosting service will provide this URL to you. Using the Img tags, include the URL path provided between the Img tags. If your image does not display fully during Preview, you should use the timage= tags which will place a thumbnail image of your photo as a link to the full size image.

Hope this helps.