Which guitar is this?

Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:04 pm

Hi everyone. This is my first post here.

I just picked up an ASAT Classic. From what I've read and from what the seller told me it seems to be a 1999 (CL serial number). What is throwing me is that it has a maple top and an alder back. I'm not a G&L connoisseur but I don't recall seeing any like this before. Are they fairly common and I just haven't noticed them before? Ive attached photos for reference.

Thank you.

Re: Which guitar is this?

Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:06 pm

In case it doesn't show up clearly in the images, that isn't binding, it's the unfinished maple top on the edges (ala PRS).

Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:16 pm

beautiful ASAT Classic! i especially like red ones, and the maple border on the body looks sweet :thumbup:

Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:27 pm

Thanks. I paid $750 (I don't know if that's high or not but it was worth it to me). It's like new. Unfortunately it didn't come with the original case. It came with one of those old Fender "chainsaw" cases.

Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:28 pm

Ripfence wrote:Hi everyone. This is my first post here.

I just picked up an ASAT Classic. From what I've read and from what the seller told me it seems to be a 1999 (CL serial number). What is throwing me is that it has a maple top and an alder back. I'm not a G&L connoisseur but I don't recall seeing any like this before. Are they fairly common and I just haven't noticed them before? Ive attached photos for reference.

Thank you.

It is probably an ASAT Classic Custom (1996-97), see: List of Regular Production ASAT-style guitars (USA).
If yours has the back contour on the body then it is for sure an ASAT Classic Custom.

Here's the 1996-97 G&L Catalog page showing one (just like yours, too):

The 1996 Custom models was when G&L first introduced Natural Wood binding.

Here is the 1996 Ad Slick:

Hope this helps.

Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:40 pm

It doesn't have the back contour/cutaway.

Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:51 pm

Ripfence wrote:It doesn't have the back contour/cutaway.

Also, the top looks like Curly Maple and not bookmatched Swamp Ash. So, it is a standard ASAT Classic with Curly Maple top option and the top natural wood binding option.
See: February 1, 1998 Dealer Price List.

Hope this helps.

Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:17 pm

It definitely is maple and the back is alder. No ash at all on this one. It's very heavy though.

Thank you so much for all the help.