There is no country of origin reference on my Comanche

Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:15 pm

Hi,
I have a Comanche CLF60875 with no country of origin reference on it. My research tells me that it is USA with that serial number and it was sold to me with that understanding. It came with a case and has a matching headstock. I have noticed other USA G&L Comanches lacking markings as well. Just wanted to see what anyone else has to say. Did G&L have a period where they did not reference country of origin?

Re: There is no country of origin reference on my Comanche

Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:07 am

First - Welcome to the board!

Some American Comanches say Fullerton, California beneath the Serial number on the back of the headstock, but some don't. I've seen both. The serial number is enough to demonstrate that yours is American. I'd be curious to know however what the story behind is. My first guess is that Comanches made prior to the introduction of a Tribute series, had no need to be especially identified as made in the US, because until they began making Tribute models - all would have been made in the US - such that any US Comanche before the Tribute models were introduced, wouldn't indicate (apart from the US serial number) that they were made in the US - but after the introduction of the Tribute model, they began to reference Fullerton California on the headstock. I'm guessing it's something like that. But someone else here will either know outright, or in the case of say, Craig, can find out definitively in short order.

Check in here often, this place is a great hangout for all things G&L related.

Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:44 am

Welcome rllibera!

Based on your serial number your Comanche would have been built around 2012. At first I was thinking this might have been a newer instrument when they changed the logos to default to model delete when they have a matching headstock. Basically, the headstock logos are not consistent across models. The Comanche USA from this time period should have the "Guitars by Leo" tag line under the G&L logo. The Legacy had the Guitars by Leo under the logo and USA on the Legacy model name. The S-500 had nothing under the logo, but made in the USA in the model designation.

Any Tribute from this time frame should have said made in in Indonesia on the back of the headstock and would have have a numeric only sn format. In addition, an import should have the Tribute Series designation under the G&L logo.

You can be confident it is an USA made Comanche.

Cheers,
Dan

Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:05 am

Thanks to both of you. You confirmed what I suspected. Thanks for the welcome as well.