View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 First G&L 

Post First G&L
]I just picked up my first G&L. Great guitar love it. Previous owner thought it was a 1995; but under the hood its stamped 1997. The original owner swapped out the Bridge P/U for a Seymour Duncan Classic stack Plus. The original P/U came included as well. I put the original back in but the hum was quite loud. Much louder than my other single coils, so I put the Duncan back in; reduces the hum but still sounds good. As this is my first G&L I'm wondering how much is actually original.

1. Tuners: this has Sperzel locking tuners, from what I gather G&L has used Sperzels

2. Pick Ups: the Bridge P/U appears to be the same as the others however the cover is not stamped with G&L logo like the others. & the colour is slightly off. Would I be able to find a G&L P/U cover to match? The ones I have found don't have the G&L logo on them.

3. Pickguard / Back plate: the pickguard is a pearloid three ply & the back plate is plain white single ply.

lastly the writing in the neck pocket: HB ST RW LEG 0 - Honey Burst Strat Rosewood Legacy? No idea what the 0 or O means.

link for photos, not sure how to insert photos hope it works.

Cheers

https://goo.gl/photos/1m6hxQ5CyohYVFth7

Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:18 am

Post Re: First G&L
I forgot:

4. Roller nut: I'm assuming this was an aftermarket install, was this ever an option?

thanks

Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:41 am

Bonbon38 wrote:
I forgot:

4. Roller nut: I'm assuming this was an aftermarket install, was this ever an option?

thanks

In the late 80's ,you could get a wilkinson roller nut on a G&L

Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:50 am

Elwood wrote:
Bonbon38 wrote:
I forgot:

thanks

In the late 80's ,you could get a wilkinson roller nut on a G&L

My '87 Skyhawk with the Fine Tuner Bridge has a factory roller nut.

Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:08 pm
Profile WWW

Bonbon38 wrote:
I forgot:

thanks

Models that could be gotten with a roller nut are present in the September 1, 1987 price list. Not sure whether it was available before this date because the priort price list I have is from more than a year earlier, namely the June 1, 1986, which does not carry the option. But while still present on the January 1, 1988 price list, the roller nut was discontinued as an option shortly thereafter because you would;t find it in the June 15, 1988 price list. Below an example of what it looks like on a 1987 SC-3:

ImageImage

Having said that, your neck (and guitar for that matter) seems to be from a decade later, 1997, the tail end of the 3-bolt era. And the Legacy was only introduced in 1992. So in all likelihood, the roller nut is an aftermarket install.

- Jos

Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:17 pm
Profile WWW

Bonbon38 wrote:
]
1. Tuners: this has Sperzel locking tuners, from what I gather G&L has used Sperzels

2. Pick Ups: the Bridge P/U appears to be the same as the others however the cover is not stamped with G&L logo like the others. & the colour is slightly off. Would I be able to find a G&L P/U cover to match? The ones I have found don't have the G&L logo on them.

3. Pickguard / Back plate: the pickguard is a pearloid three ply & the back plate is plain white single ply.

lastly the writing in the neck pocket: HB ST RW LEG 0 - Honey Burst Strat Rosewood Legacy? No idea what the 0 or O means.

Thanks for the replies so far: Know where I could find a G&L stamped / etched P/U cover and a back plate to match the pick guard?

My bridge is blocked, did they come like this or where they setup floating?

Thanks again

Bonbon

Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:42 am

They are set to float Bonbon. If it is blocked, it is because the previous owner didn't know just how stable a bridge that is the DFV. Set the vibrato free, your ears with thank you!

Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:32 am
Profile WWW

JagInTheBag wrote:
They are set to float Bonbon. If it is blocked, it is because the previous owner didn't know just how stable a bridge that is the DFV. Set the vibrato free, your ears with thank you!

She's free & floating. Great guitars, I wish I played one sooner!

Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:30 am

Bonbon38 wrote:
She's free & floating. Great guitars, I wish I played one sooner!

Better late than never! 8-) :thumbup:

Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:35 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]