Serial on certificate doesn't match serial on guitar

Sat May 15, 2010 4:11 am

Hi there! I've just bought an ASAT special semi-hollow. Love it! There's just one thing that I can't figure out. The serial in my Certificate of Authenticity is not the same as the serial on my guitar. I already had contact with the reseller, but he can't help me out. It was the only ASAT special he had in stock.

Any idea?

thanx,

Ruud (Rotterdam, Netherlands)

Re: Serial on certificate doesn't match serial on guitar

Sat May 15, 2010 8:41 am

ruudizzle wrote:Hi there! I've just bought an ASAT special semi-hollow. Love it! There's just one thing that I can't figure out. The serial in my Certificate of Authenticity is not the same as the serial on my guitar. I already had contact with the reseller, but he can't help me out. It was the only ASAT special he had in stock.

Any idea?

thanx,

Ruud (Rotterdam, Netherlands)

Is the CLF part of the serial number missing or is the serial number completely different?

In the past, the factory was leaving off the prefix (CLF) part of the serial number on the CofA.
I think they have changed this and do include the complete serial number on the CofA.

You can get a replacement or correct Certificate for G&L. Contact Chris Robosan and
explain why you need a replacement CofA. His contact information is on the Support page
of the G&L main website.

FYI - Always retain your purchase receipt. Should you need warranty work and have lost
or misplaced your CofA, you would be able to use the receipt as proof of purchase.

Hope this helps.

Thu May 20, 2010 11:17 am

Sounds to me like it could have been a dealer that didn't pay attention to the cases that he gave when he sold the guitars. I caught a dealer doing that to me once. I just found the correct CofA and kept that and took the case he gave me. Just happens some times , you know?

Mon May 31, 2010 8:27 am

Thanks folks! I'll try contacting Chris Robosan.

Mon May 31, 2010 10:02 am

Certainly at the larger stores, if there's no strict accounting for case:instrument matches, they can be carelessly mixed up. All it takes is one hurried salesperson who wants to get the sale and then move on, to grab the nearest case, without considering the certificate match, etc.
When I bought my Taylor, they couldn't find the right hardcase for it and ended up giving me one from a later model guitar. Of course, then the mistake gets compounded as the next person gets the wrong case, etc. Good luck.