View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 #3 neck- nut and saddle question 

Post #3 neck- nut and saddle question
Hey Folks! Recently got my first G & L: a S-500 Deluxe with a #3 neck (1 11/16 at nut). I have two questions that I would love a little help with.

First is regarding the nut. I want to replace it with a graph tech trem nut (AKA Black tusq) and I want to know is the seat for the nut flat or curved? I suspect curved- if so are the "strat" style graph tech nuts for 12" radius as I have or 7.5? By the way, I am replacing it partly due to how very wide the strings are to the outside (center of E to E is a bit over 1 7/16ths at nut) leading to low E slipping off...

Second question is about the other end. The saddles also seem wide set. 2 1/8th E to E. I thought 2 1/16 was standard "strat". Is there only one size trem bridge for all the necks? Are different width saddles available?
I am deeply enjoying this guitar- just want a little different set up. I have been playing a PRS with the same size neck and E to E is 1 3/8 at nut and 2 1/16 at bridge- enough of a difference to not slip off and what I thought I was getting.

Really appreciate any help/thoughts on this!

Michael

Last edited by Craig on Mon May 24, 2010 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

moved from another forum

Sat May 22, 2010 11:08 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: #3 neck- nut and saddle question
Jumpbuck wrote:
Hey Folks! Recently got my first G & L: a S-500 Deluxe with a #3 neck (1 11/16 at nut). I have two questions that I would love a little help with.

First is regarding the nut. I want to replace it with a graph tech trem nut (AKA Black tusq) and I want to know is the seat for the nut flat or curved? I suspect curved- if so are the "strat" style graph tech nuts for 12" radius as I have or 7.5? By the way, I am replacing it partly due to how very wide the strings are to the outside (center of E to E is a bit over 1 7/16ths at nut) leading to low E slipping off...

Second question is about the other end. The saddles also seem wide set. 2 1/8th E to E. I thought 2 1/16 was standard "strat". Is there only one size trem bridge for all the necks? Are different width saddles available?
I am deeply enjoying this guitar- just want a little different set up. I have been playing a PRS with the same size neck and E to E is 1 3/8 at nut and 2 1/16 at bridge- enough of a difference to not slip off and what I thought I was getting.

Really appreciate any help/thoughts on this!

Michael

The #3 neck has a 12" radius fretboad. I don't know the answer regarding the shape of the seat for the nut.
I will check with some in the know at the factory and post with a followup.

Yes, there is only one size DF Trem bridge for all guitar necks and only one size for all bass necks, too.
The same is true for the saddles, they are all the same size for a given bridge. I don't know if there are
aftermarket saddles of different sizes which would fit the DF trem bridge. Perhaps others will be able to
answer this.

Also, I just posted What this the '05 to '06 Bridge and Trem arm difference? in the Knowledgebase.

Hope this helps.

Current G&L Specifications and Options

Mon May 24, 2010 7:44 am
Profile WWW

Craig, thanks so much for the attention.
When you talk to the factory guys could you ask what width do they go for E to E at the nut of a 1 11/16 neck? I got to say that the string spacing on the nut I have would be perfect for a 1 3/4 neck but, again, seems notched too wide for the neck I have...

Only one size bridge for necks that range from 1 5/8 to 1 3/4? The 1 5/8 necks must flair extra in order to keep the E strings parallel to the side of the finger board...

Is the new bridge that you mentioned in your bridge and trem arm posting going to be 2 1/16" E to E at saddles? 2 1/16 is a standard strat width I believe. ( current G & L is 2 1/8 when saddles have all side to side play gone) and will the new bridge fit my 2010 s-500?

Thanks again!
Michael

Mon May 24, 2010 9:19 am
Site Admin

Jumpbuck wrote:
Craig, thanks so much for the attention.
When you talk to the factory guys could you ask what width do they go for E to E at the nut of a 1 11/16 neck? I got to say that the string spacing on the nut I have would be perfect for a 1 3/4 neck but, again, seems notched too wide for the neck I have...

Only one size bridge for necks that range from 1 5/8 to 1 3/4? The 1 5/8 necks must flair extra in order to keep the E strings parallel to the side of the finger board...

Is the new bridge that you mentioned in your bridge and trem arm posting going to be 2 1/16" E to E at saddles? 2 1/16 is a standard strat width I believe. ( current G & L is 2 1/8 when saddles have all side to side play gone) and will the new bridge fit my 2010 s-500?

Thanks again!
Michael

Hi Michael,

The "new" bridge I mention in the Knowledgebase post was new in 2006, so your 2010 bridge is this new one.

Regarding the nut, this is what Steve Grom, G&L Director of Manufacturing, has to say:

"The nut slots are cut by the Plek Machine as part of its process. Our operator enters the nut width and the Plek determines the slot locations based on how it was programmed for that specific nut width. I’ll take a look at the programming details on the wider nut spacings."

I also confirmed with him that there is only one size bridge and saddles used for all guitar necks.

When I hear more from Steve, I will post another followup.

Hope this helps.

Current G&L Specifications and Options

Wed May 26, 2010 3:03 pm
Profile WWW

thanks Craig, I'll keep you updated as things evolve on my side. Much appreciated! Michael

Wed May 26, 2010 3:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]