What magnet type is used in the L2000 pickups?

Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:25 am

Does anyone know what type of magnet is in the L2000 pickups? Ceramic, Alnico, Steel, etc?

Re: What magnet type is used in the L2000 pickups?

Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:00 am

Rusty the Scoob wrote:Does anyone know what type of magnet is in the L2000 pickups? Ceramic, Alnico, Steel, etc?

Ceramic, see:The G&L Magnetic Field Design pickups, List of pickups used in G&L basses and Decoding the various G&L pickup part numbers.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:29 am

That is perfect, thanks Craig!

Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:51 am

Hi Rusty,
Going for the '81 Lesh tone?
Just curious :P
I wonder if he used Leo's "OMG" switch for the Phil Bombs.

regards,
elwood

Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:00 pm

Good guess, but no, I'm after John Kahn's '82-'84 tone! :mrgreen: Must have been a good area sales rep to get them both to switch, however briefly.

What's the OMG switch?

Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:24 pm

Rusty the Scoob wrote:Good guess, but no, I'm after John Kahn's '82-'84 tone! :mrgreen: Must have been a good area sales rep to get them both to switch, however briefly.

That probably was Dale Hyatt.

Rusty the Scoob wrote:What's the OMG switch?

On the L-1000, with the switch towards the bridge...the single coil mode with treble cut (bass boost)
seemed to once in a while invoke OMG! from the listener.

Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:14 am

Ah, yeah, I could see how in certain amps that switch would be pretty dramatic! Any kind of sudden bass boost can do some crazy things.

I didn't mean to imply the basses didn't sell themselves, just that somebody had to put one in front of them both around the same time. Cool to know the history!

I really want Kahn's '83 tone specifically but the Korean-made Tribute L2000 I bought isn't quite there and doesn't quite project to the crowd like I like. How much better are the USA models? How different are the vintage ones? (which sell for surprisingly good prices!)

Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:56 am

Rusty the Scoob wrote: How different are the vintage ones? (which sell for surprisingly good prices!)

The bi-cut necks would contribute to a stronger fundamental (stiffer)...oh..and Leo was in the office.
They really knew how to source good wood and where to cut it...etc

I bet you'll feel and hear the diff when you get your hands on a 'real' one.

Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:10 am

Ah, now you're talking! I've been thinking lately that neck stiffness is the key to a great bass. I have this one P-bass that's just magical, and a friend pointed out it has a quartersawn maple neck. (it shouldn't, I just got lucky, it's just an American Special neck by Fender)

How is the profile on the vintage ones? My Tribute reminds me of a modern Stingray, chunky neck, huge space under the strings begging to be slapped... by comparison I got to check out a real 1976 Ray and it played just like a P - slim neck, strings tight to the body. Being a P guy it felt a lot more natural.

Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:09 am

Hopefully others will chime in too..
That's a hard one for me to put into words, and there were variances...
I'll see if I can find some pics later...and I'll break out the calipers if I get inspired :idea:

Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:44 am

That would rule! Even a few comparison pics would help a lot before I take a $1,000+ plunge.

I've also pondered buying a broken Tribute (well, ok, I already bought it but could fix and sell it) and putting the bridge and electronics in a maple/swamp-ash parts P. But you're leaning me toward the real deal.