View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Locking tuners question 

Post Locking tuners question
Hello all. I'm new to the G&L world, picked up a 2014 USA Legacy two months ago. I'd like to change the standard vintage-type G&L/Schaller tuners with locking tuners. From what I understand, the one-pin Schallers that I saw on Stew Mac or the
G&L-logoed tuners on their website should be a direct replacement, but are they staggered? Stew Mac mentions staggered, but G&L makes no mention of that. I'd prefer the staggered and would rather buy them cheaper direct through G&L if possible. Thanks.
-Joe

http://g-l-online-store.myshopify.com/c ... -hand-only

Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:50 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Locking tuners question
Toejam wrote:
Hello all. I'm new to the G&L world, picked up a 2014 USA Legacy two months ago. I'd like to change the standard vintage-type G&L/Schaller tuners with locking tuners. From what I understand, the one-pin Schallers that I saw on Stew Mac or the
G&L-logoed tuners on their website should be a direct replacement, but are they staggered? Stew Mac mentions staggered, but G&L makes no mention of that. I'd prefer the staggered and would rather buy them cheaper direct through G&L if possible. Thanks.
-Joe

http://g-l-online-store.myshopify.com/c ... -hand-only

The current G&L tuners and previous Schaller tuners used by G&L are not staggered. Only the Sperzel tuners used by G&L are staggered.
To use Sperzel tuners, in place of the current tuners, you would need to drill new pin holes for each tuner. See: What tuners are used on G&L guitars (USA models)?.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Current G&L Specifications and Options

Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:34 pm
Profile WWW

Not progressively staggered, as Craig says, but I've been pretty sure that all the locking Schaller sets on my recent G&Ls are in two heights; one set of 3 for the E, A, D, and a slightly shorter (lower) set of 3 for the G, B, E.
I just checked (three guitars with these on) and they're all like this. Works really well.
My all-round first choice tuners, couldn't wish for better.

Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:28 am
Site Admin

NickHorne wrote:
Not progressively staggered, as Craig says, but I've been pretty sure that all the locking Schaller sets on my recent G&Ls are in two heights; one set of 3 for the E, A, D, and a slightly shorter (lower) set of 3 for the G, B, E.
I just checked (three guitars with these on) and they're all like this. Works really well.
My all-round first choice tuners, couldn't wish for better.

Nick is spot on.

G&L Schaller Locking Tuners:

G&L Sprezel Locking Tuners:

I don't have any G&L's with the current G&L Locking Tuners, so I emailed a couple of contacts at the factory to find out about them.

Here is Spencer Brown's (General Foreman) reply:

Quote:
Craig,

The current G&L locking keys and single pin Schaller keys use the same pin location as our standard keys and can be swapped out without modification.

The current G&L keys are not staggered. They are all the height of the Schaller short posts.

Thanks,

Spencer

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Current G&L Specifications and Options

Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:56 am
Profile WWW

Cool. Thanks, guys! That helps a lot. The standard tuners are pretty nice and stay in tune fairly well, but I just prefer the locking. Guess I'll pick up a set from the G&L store soon. :)

Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:30 pm

To follow-on and confirm what was posted here I picked up a set of the Schaller M6 locking tuners SC501702 and the G&L locking tuners from the G&L store to compare.

The Schaller's are staggered in two heights and were a direct fit for the G&L logo tuners. The G&L locking tuners are all one height.

I still have one set of each uninstalled so if comparison pictures would be helpful I could take some later tonight.

Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]