3 bolt ASAT Classic with a S/N starting with G0

Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:03 pm

Hi,
Just trying to nail down the year my ASAT was made. My S/N on the neck plate starts with G04 and last two digits are 91.
From what I have read that doesn't mean it was made in '91, but based on the 3 bolt neck plate and the G being the first alpha numeric in the S/N could I assume early to mid 1990's? Mostly I want to figure out the body wood. I think it's alder. I'll be putting it on the Registry shortly.
Thanks !!

Re: 3 bolt ASAT Classic with a S/N starting with G0

Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:13 pm

Can you post some pics of the guitar?? Specifically of the headstock where the fingerboard ends right past the nut.
Judging from what I can see in your avatar it appears to be early mid 90's…
So you know, G0 starts off most all early model G&L including BBE models so the 4 is more indicative of the year.
Also a satin finished neck is a clear indicator of a post '92 model… they did switch to alder around that time but from what I understand they still used ash for some models esp the translucent finishes. How heavy is it? The other thing you can do is look at wood in the neck pocket but sounds like you don't want to pull the neck. Looking at the pot codes is another way to narrow things down a bit.

Cheers,
KF

Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:04 pm

Rough guidance from the guitars I have, G04 is about 1995, maybe even tail-end of 1994 unto 1996. Definitely BBE-era before 1998 when they went to water slide S/N, first with CL#####, then CLF#####.

See these links:
Serial Number significance
How do I determine an instrument's age? (The Chronology link in this post to the G&L website only provides S/N ranges up to 1992).

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:11 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'll get some close up pics. I'll weight it as well but it runs on the lighter end. I'd rather not pull the neck off since it is sounding really good unplugged and I don't want to disturb that vibe. Pots are another story!

Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:28 pm

my new ASAT Deluxe serial is G0 and supposed to be a 97 , haven't taken the neck off yet

Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:20 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:my new ASAT Deluxe serial is G0 and supposed to be a 97 , haven't taken the neck off yet

Eric,

The number of digits varies between the different formats. The G S/N has 6 digits, the CL/CLF water slides only 5, and the CLF brushed plate 6 again. So yes, all start with G0. It's the next digit that might give you some indication of a year. My 1997 (pre-2002) ASAT Classic Custom is the highest I have with G051185. Funnily enough, the highest B S/N i have is one of these guitar neck plate misprints with B055602 for my 1995(!) ASAT Custom.

- Jos

Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:30 pm

Cool - look forward to the pics. Btw, there are/were 2 '94 ASAT Specials on eBay that had pearled p/gs so yours may in fact be from that year. I recall seeing a lot of them around that time.

Cheers,
KF

Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:33 pm

my number is G050697

Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:13 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:
Fumble fingers wrote:Funnily enough, the highest B S/N i have is one of these guitar neck plate misprints with B055602 for my 1995(!) ASAT Custom.

It's not a misprint, but just the plate intended to be used for a bass guitar. Maybe the guitar plates ran out or the worker didn't care and so it were used for a guitar.

The best way to find out the production date, is to pull of the neck. In the neck pocket should be the date from the body and on the neck then you'll see when the neck was produced.

Other way is to use the search in the registry. You may filter a range of serial numbers and many of them have their production year shown in the record. So you can have a guess.

I've got two guitars, starting with G038, which I have dated to 1994 and differ only by a few hundred. So they may have been at the same time in the factory. One went to a dealer in the USA, the other to a dealer in Germany, for years they are together at my home. :D

http://www.wuell.net/gallery/view_photo ... d=IMG_3301
http://www.wuell.net/gallery/view_photo ... d=IMG_4876

Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:01 am

If it helps at all my ASAT special is #G045xxx - the body is stamped Nov 1995 and the neck is Dec 1995.

Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:09 am

Miles Smiles wrote:
yowhatsshakin wrote:
Fumble fingers wrote:Funnily enough, the highest B S/N i have is one of these guitar neck plate misprints with B055602 for my 1995(!) ASAT Custom.

It's not a misprint, but just the plate intended to be used for a bass guitar. Maybe the guitar plates ran out or the worker didn't care and so it were used for a guitar.

The best way to find out the production date, is to pull of the neck. In the neck pocket should be the date from the body and on the neck then you'll see when the neck was produced.

Other way is to use the search in the registry. You may filter a range of serial numbers and many of them have their production year shown in the record. So you can have a guess.

I've got two guitars, starting with G038, which I have dated to 1994 and differ only by a few hundred. So they may have been at the same time in the factory. One went to a dealer in the USA, the other to a dealer in Germany, for years they are together at my home. :D

http://www.wuell.net/gallery/view_photo ... d=IMG_3301
http://www.wuell.net/gallery/view_photo ... d=IMG_4876

Jos is correct. From the post he referenced earlier in this thread (serial number significance):
Note: Many 3-bolt guitar plates in the range 52000 to 55000 were mis-stamped with a B-prefix instead of the
usual G-prefix. It was a mistake and the plates were used rather than wasting them.

Another reference post: Looking for History on my G&L Legacy.

The 3-bolt neck plates for basses and guitars are different sizes and are not interchangable.

:ugeek:

Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:53 pm

I have one of those B serial numbers on my Legacy from 1996... Its a tone machine and now i know why... :D

Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:33 am

Craig wrote:The 3-bolt neck plates for basses and guitars are different sizes and are not interchangable.

OK, thanks. Don't know, where I read the other version of the story. I've got an L-2000 with 3-bolt neck too and didn't notice the difference without measuring so far. ;)