G&L Asat Classic Bluesboy "Custom wiring" ?

Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:25 am

Hello to all G&L lovers,

I'm a happy owner of a G&L Tribute Asat Classic Bluesboy since 2013, this guitar already had a fret dressing/pro setup, Bare Knuckle Mississippi queen P-90 and all the electronic upgraded.
I had the opportunity to grab the same model made in USA, and thanks to Craig and G&L people found out this guitar may have had some funny history...

Got it today, as expected will need paint repair will update with pictures when all the works is done.

Meanwhile... anyone have any knowledge about this "custom wiring" ?

Thanks,
Luis

Re: G&L Asat Classic Bluesboy "Custom wiring" ?

Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:03 am

Lu7s wrote:Hello to all G&L lovers,

I'm a happy owner of a G&L Tribute Asat Classic Bluesboy since 2013, this guitar already had a fret dressing/pro setup, Bare Knuckle Mississippi queen P-90 and all the electronic upgraded.
I had the opportunity to grab the same model made in USA, and thanks to Craig and G&L people found out this guitar may have had some funny history...

Got it today, as expected will need paint repair will update with pictures when all the works is done.

Meanwhile... anyone have any knowledge about this "custom wiring" ?

Thanks,
Luis

No idea on what the custom wiring is.

Here's what the stock wiring looks like:

Reference: Album: ASAT Classic Bluesboy Picture Diagrams

:ugeek:

Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:18 am

Thank you Craig.

From what I can see from the diagram, it seems that the bridge pickup is connected in reverse polarity.
Could it be this reverse polarity the "custom wiring" or I'm not seeing correctly?

Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:29 pm

Lu7s wrote:Thank you Craig.

From what I can see from the diagram, it seems that the bridge pickup is connected in reverse polarity.
Could it be this reverse polarity the "custom wiring" or I'm not seeing correctly?

The bridge pickup is modified to work with the neck humbucker. See my previous Reference link: Album: ASAT Classic Bluesboy Picture Diagrams
and look at the photo of the bridge pickup for the details.

Perhaps your guitar was an early production build (2001), so the custom wiring note might just indicate that the bridge pickup must be re-wired,
but this is just my guess.

:ugeek:

PS Don't forget to register both of your G&L's into our G&L Registry.

Sun May 01, 2016 6:10 am

Yes, it was built in december 2005.
I will post some picture and register the new babe, as soon as I get it from the luthier.

Mon May 02, 2016 3:34 am

Bluesboy semihollows are great! I hope you and yours are v. happy together.
I think I can transcribe your circuit from your photo, and it seems stock except for the small red-and-white pair that are joined together and sleeved-off, which appear "hanging down" from around the centre of the 5-way. Do these come from the cable from the Seth humbucker? If so, my hunch would be that the pickup could be 4-conductor wired instead of the usual coax, to allow for coil-splitting, phase-reversal etc if ever desired. Or perhaps someone asked for the coil-split on a pull-pot switch, didn't rate it, and took the switch out?
I don't rate a hard coil-split on my Seth, nor a "partial" one via a resistor or cap. The sound is either small or uninteresting. But I think I will try splitting via a spare Bill Lawrence Q-filter inductor, to get something more like Fralin's "Unbucker"; 1 1/2 coils but without frequency response mess-up. Will report whether any good or not in due course.

Sat May 21, 2016 4:54 am

Hi Nick,

Thank you!
Yes, the red-and-white pair is from the humbucker (4-conductor).

I will be interested to know the result of splitting via a Q-filter.

Regards,
Luis