Current SC-2/ Fallout neck options

Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:16 am

Looking to order an SC-2 soon, but looking on the G&L website It says there are no neck options for the SC-2 & Fallout.

I used to have an SC-2 and found the standard neck shape a bit big for my liking - I prefer more of a tele neck shape, and so wouldn't be interested in ordering another SC-2 unless I could get a different shape ( I also found it to be a bit unbalanced, but I'm sure a smaller neck along with a hardtail instead of trem would be enough to balance it properly).

Anyone know if this is still the case, or if it's just an old notice? If it is, I'm sure if enough people enquired about it they'd offer some more.
I would have emailed them with this question, but errrrrr, there doesn't seem to be an email address? Bit weird.

And on a related note, has anyone managed to order an SC-2 with a Fallout headstock? I always found the SC-2 headstock a bit big and ugly - the Fallout one is a lot nicer imo.

Thanks!

Re: Current SC-2/ Fallout neck options

Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:07 am

I totally agree and have both , probably my only complaint on my SC 2 is it's " G&L's biggest head stock on G&L's smallest body " makes it look out-of-wack ..... it doesn't balance near as good as my Fallout and I think it would look way better with a Fallout headstock shape ...... my SC 2 isn't balanced (neck heavy) terrible but the Fallout is way nicer and looks better ......

I think if G&L wanted to pick up sales on the SC 2 model they need the smaller head stock of the Fallout , it flat looks better and balances better , the traditionalist won't want it changed but most of them don't buy new BBE guitars anyway

the neck options that are not available yet are *** size , width and radius *** as far as I know ..... supposedly working on it

Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:43 am

So all the options then? :D

If they are working on it then I'll probably just order an ASAT and wait for the SC-2.
I can only assume the SC-2 and the Fallout have the same neck dimensional requirements, so I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem to get an SC-2 with a Fallout headstock.

Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:55 am

I don't think they will let you change head stock on a SC 2 for a smaller ASAT/Fallout head stock , sure wish they would or dump the big head stock all together on the SC 2 model , G&L does says sales are down on SC 2's ........

Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:10 am

As I assume the necks for the SC-2 and Fallout are the same, so I meant basically just give it a rebadged Fallout neck. Don't see why they couldn't do that?

Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:31 pm

goldspanner wrote:As I assume the necks for the SC-2 and Fallout are the same, so I meant basically just give it a rebadged Fallout neck. Don't see why they couldn't do that?

wish they would , won't hurt to ask

on another note I have a 10 lbs 2013 ASAT Deluxe with Bigsby and locking tuners that is real neck heavy along with heavy in general , anyway checking out straps I found/bought a LHL leather strap today that is very thick and wide ..... after installing the strap no more neck dive and I don't notice the extra weight , I'm going to get about 3 more of those straps for the remaining 9 pound and over guitars and use 1 on my new ASAT Blues Boy which is a 6.5 pound guitar but with the C+ neck size and locking tuners it neck dives , I might even get on for SC 2 which out of my neck divers is the least bothersome

Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:13 pm

goldspanner wrote:Looking to order an SC-2 soon, but looking on the G&L website It says there are no neck options for the SC-2 & Fallout.

I used to have an SC-2 and found the standard neck shape a bit big for my liking - I prefer more of a tele neck shape, and so wouldn't be interested in ordering another SC-2 unless I could get a different shape ( I also found it to be a bit unbalanced, but I'm sure a smaller neck along with a hardtail instead of trem would be enough to balance it properly).

Anyone know if this is still the case, or if it's just an old notice? If it is, I'm sure if enough people enquired about it they'd offer some more.
I would have emailed them with this question, but errrrrr, there doesn't seem to be an email address? Bit weird.

And on a related note, has anyone managed to order an SC-2 with a Fallout headstock? I always found the SC-2 headstock a bit big and ugly - the Fallout one is a lot nicer imo.

Thanks!

I forwarded your post to Dave McLaren.

See this post:Re: WHY are there no neck options for SC-2/Fallout?.

Again, once I hear any more updates, I will post them.

:ugeek:

Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:23 am

Craig wrote:

Thanks and much appreciated!

And going back to the headstock, do you reckon a Fallout neck on an SC-2 would be possible? Am I right in thinking that the bodies are the same re. neck pocket size, position etc.?
If so, seems like they could solve two problems by working out the Fallout neck options and then changing the SC-2 headstock to be the same i.e the same necks on both guitars.

Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:05 pm

Craig wrote:
goldspanner wrote:Looking to order an SC-2 soon, but looking on the G&L website It says there are no neck options for the SC-2 & Fallout.

Thanks!

I just heard back from Dave:

Hi Craig,

We recommend he work with a dealer who can effectively field the question of whether the current SC-2 profile will appealing.
SC-2 necks have evolved over the decades, so what is currently offered may be considerably different than what was on the
SC-2 he had. Likewise, what constitutes a Tele neck has varied greatly over the ages, intentionally and not. This kind of thing is
a key way a good dealer can add value.

The Fallout headstock is only available on Fallout at this time.

Thanks, Craig.

Hope this helps.

Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:13 pm

I had a modern SC-2, which was just a couple of years ago, so I don't think that applies! Thanks anyway though - I'm sure the neck I had is the same that is still available ;)

Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:48 pm

I have a SC 2 and Fallout that are about a year apart , it would be interesting to see if the necks interchange ..... the Fallout is due for a good cleaning and fret board treatment , might have to give that neck swap a try just to see if it fits between the two ...... all honesty the big MFD's sound better than the Fallout pickups in the Band I play in especially for down tuning drop D stuff , the smaller headstock of the Fallout would make the SC 2 balance better for playability and look better too IMHO , but I doubt G&L is ready to revamp the SC 2 even though sales are down on that model .... But it would be a good change if you ask me

Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:56 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:I have a SC 2 and Fallout that are about a year apart , it would be interesting to see if the necks interchange ..... the Fallout is due for a good cleaning and fret board treatment , might have to give that neck swap a try just to see if it fits between the two ...... all honesty the big MFD's sound better than the Fallout pickups in the Band I play in especially for down tuning drop D stuff , the smaller headstock of the Fallout would make the SC 2 balance better for playability and look better too IMHO , but I doubt G&L is ready to revamp the SC 2 even though sales are down on that model .... But it would be a good change if you ask me

Let me know if you try swapping the necks - I'd be very interested to hear if it works!
And perhaps the lows sales could have something to do with the frumpy headstock and lack of neck options........
If you ask me waiting for sales to go up on something before you improve it isn't a very sound business model.