early legacy info

Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:22 pm

:confused0007: hi guys newbie on this site, awsome read and info is unreal. i have a question that came to mind whilst reading scorchin one's qu. about serial numbers and such and hope that Craig you might be able to help me out with a bit more info. i brought a new g&l legacy in early 1993 neck plate # is GO29982 now mine also has the pat pending stamp on the bridge and small g in the guitars by leo on headset .the bridge number is G001189. it was bought from a music shop in western australia. this is without doubt one of the best guitars i have ever owned ( and it is still in better than immaculate cond) i would just love to know the full if any history behind it.
p.s it has slab rosewood board and 8 screw pick guard thanks in advance for any info
ps sorry guys i posted this as a reply to scorhinones question. i will get the hang of this site soon promise :oops:

Re: early legacy info

Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:06 pm

annyb wrote::confused0007: hi guys newbie on this site, awsome read and info is unreal. i have a question that came to mind whilst reading scorchin one's qu. about serial numbers and such and hope that Craig you might be able to help me out with a bit more info. i brought a new g&l legacy in early 1993 neck plate # is GO29982 now mine also has the pat pending stamp on the bridge and small g in the guitars by leo on headset .the bridge number is G001189. it was bought from a music shop in western australia. this is without doubt one of the best guitars i have ever owned ( and it is still in better than immaculate cond) i would just love to know the full if any history behind it.
p.s it has slab rosewood board and 8 screw pick guard thanks in advance for any info
ps sorry guys i posted this as a reply to scorhinones question. i will get the hang of this site soon promise :oops:

This is odd that it has both a neck plate S/N (G029982) and a older bridge with a serial number (G001189). The neck plate SN would be the actual one for this guitar.
I forwarded your post to Dave McLaren and he replied:
Hi Craig,

There’s no data in the logbook for G029982. G029981 is there and dated 3/10/92 and G029983 is there dated 4/3/92. Back then they typed in serial number sequentially, though the plates weren’t used quite sequentially, then the info for each instrument was hand written in the logbook by the typed serial number. G029982 is typed in, but no info is penciled in next to it. Could be this was made of parts around the shop by an employee, which may explain the older bridge plate. Perhaps there’s something written in the body cavity under the pickups or neck pocket, though perhaps it won’t be meaningful as far as who built it or why.

Thanks, Craig.

Dave

If you do get a chance to open it up and find in written in the body cavity or neck pocket, please photograph it and post the photos.
Also, we would love to see photos of the whole guitar, as well. And please do add it to our G&L Registry (using the neck plate S/N to register it under). Include the bridge serial number in the Other features
section, too.

Do you recall if the store you bought it from sold it to you as a new guitar or used?

Hope this helps, some.

:ugeek:

Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:08 pm

hi craig thankyou so far. i pulled the back cover off and all there is is a small white sticker with 1192 on it, and yes it was bought brand new, sorry will take some phptos soon and post

Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:53 pm

[imageImage][/image][image]Image[/image][imageImage][/image][image][/image]Image[image]Image[/image][imageImage][/image][image]Image[/image]

hi craig hopefully these will show up for you, had lots of probs getting them on here. damn the old girl looks filthy in these photos, better start cleaning. hope these might give you an idea about it anyway. ps would you be able to tell me what your version of colour/ and wood used on the neck and body is please

Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:20 pm

What a beauty !! :luv:

I vote maple (2 piece) for the body wood.
It looks close to being bookmatched even ,looking at the almost birdseye figuring.

Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:13 am

thanks elwood, somethin in my head told me it had that sort of something.

Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:31 pm

annyb wrote:hi craig thankyou so far. i pulled the back cover off and all there is is a small white sticker with 1192 on it, and yes it was bought brand new, sorry will take some phptos soon and post

The sticker indicates that the body was built in November of 1992.

Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:40 pm

Elwood wrote:What a beauty !! :luv:

I vote maple (2 piece) for the body wood.
It looks close to being bookmatched even ,looking at the almost birdseye figuring.

That was my thought as well. However, AFAIK only Ash and Alder were used on early production models.
I'd like to see what color the bare body wood looks like. If it's reddish, then it's Alder. If it is light colored, then it's Maple.

annyb, if you could remove the back plate and look in the various screw holes, you might be able to see the color of the bare wood.
If it is Maple, then I am thinking it was an employee built.

Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:12 pm

The body finish is 3-Tone Sunburst and the standard body wood would have been Alder (see my previous post, though).
The neck is hard rock Maple, neck looks to have a gloss finish.
The pickups are Seymour Duncan SSL Vintage (flats), which were used in 1992-1994 builds.
The powder coated metal trem cover and the old style control knobs with set screw indicate that it was an ealy build. Since
the body date is Nov. 1992, it could have been completed in '92 or early '93.

The mystery to me is that it has both a neck plate serial number and older version DF bridge with serial number, and that
it ended up in the store you purchased it from as new, and the neckplate serial number was not registered in the factory log.
If it was an employee built guitar, how did it end up at that store, as new from the factory???

There are some Legacy's listed in our G&L Registry which indicate that the serial number is on the bridge and one of those indicated
that this was due to factory running out of serialized neck plates, so old DF bridges were used to complete (less than 20) orders.

Hope this helps some.

Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:30 am

hi craig awsome info, the wood inside the back cavity is light coloured

Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:36 am

sorry craig the colour inside the back cavity is pretty much the same colour as the center of the outside of the body

Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:06 am

another bit of info , not sure if it is relevent. it came in a identical (colour,internal and external) tolex case but without the g&l logo on it but it had the original booklet with all settings ect. and gold and black g&l keyring with key , as you said how did it end up in a store, ??? and more so in australia. wish i still had receipt but that got lost years ago during moving