Putting G&L pickups in my Strat?

Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:24 am

Hi,

Apologies if this has been answered. I tried searching, but I guess I didn't ask the correct question.

I've got an '89 American Standard strat that I've been trying to sell, but I've also considered replacing the pickups. I like the Kinman pickups, but they're somewhat pricey. Are either the Legacy alnico or S-500 MFD pickups "plug and play" possibilities for a Strat (that is, without re-routing)?

TIA,

Mike

Re: Putting G&L pickups in my Strat?

Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:41 am

The newer S-500 pups fit perfectly into a strat pickguard and standard routings...

Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:09 am

Way back, the S-500 style MFDs were redesigned so that they could be fitted as aftermarket PUs in various Strat type guitars. The MFDs are taller as the magnet is beneath the coil. Pot and cap values maybe different to get optimum tone.

Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:38 am

I was wondering this same thing. I am interested in replacing the pickups in my 2011 Strat and am considering MFDs. Mine is a lefty...would that matter? Would they still fit/work properly?

Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:23 pm

themikeaustin wrote:Hi,

Apologies if this has been answered. I tried searching, but I guess I didn't ask the correct question.

I've got an '89 American Standard strat that I've been trying to sell, but I've also considered replacing the pickups. I like the Kinman pickups, but they're somewhat pricey. Are either the Legacy alnico or S-500 MFD pickups "plug and play" possibilities for a Strat (that is, without re-routing)?

TIA,

Mike

The Legacy CLF-100 pickups are "plug and play", without any re-routing needed.

:ugeek:

Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:26 pm

Nubs wrote:I was wondering this same thing. I am interested in replacing the pickups in my 2011 Strat and am considering MFDs. Mine is a lefty...would that matter? Would they still fit/work properly?

being a lefty model would not matter. They would work properly.

:ugeek:

Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:08 pm

Thanks to all who answered. The CL-100 are the least expensive of my options (Legacy ($60), S-500 ($100), Kinman ($96)). I am/was leaning towards the S-500 pickups. There's a youtube demo by a G&L person comparing the alnico and MFD pickups and, at least in the demo, the MFD pickups had more "presence" than the alnicos.
I'm not really interested in other Strat replacement pickups, with the possible exception of Fishman's Fluence Core pickups.
Does anyone here have experience with Kinman pickups?