S-500 deluxe ... how do I find out where this axe came from?

Mon May 10, 2010 7:59 am

CLF 32917

above is SN....I just nabbed this off ebay, and was told it cost 1700 new. was also told it's a custom job. how do I trace all this info?

here's the ebay url...any idea what the finish is even called?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... SI:US:1123

don't have it yet, it's being shipped, but i have a feeling this is a sweet axe.

Re: S-500 deluxe ... how do I find out where this axe came from?

Tue May 11, 2010 10:03 pm

anyone...

Tue May 11, 2010 10:37 pm

You can search the SN on the registry if the guitar was previously registered. Otherwise I think tracing any history on the guitar is probably unlikely. G&L guitars (USA models) are by their nature custom, although a dealer may have put in the order as opposed to a user.

The color is probably the "Amber" claimed in the ebay listing, although from the picture it appears more to the "Honey" color (this is from looking at the catalog I received at the beginning of the year). Certainly the wood could be making it difficult to tell. It is definitely a Flamed Maple top. I can't tell if it is really a Birds-Eye neck from the pictures, no reason to doubt it, and it would be obvious once you receive it.

-recluse

Tue May 11, 2010 11:02 pm

recluse wrote:You can search the SN on the registry if the guitar was previously registered. Otherwise I think tracing any history on the guitar is probably unlikely. G&L guitars (USA models) are by their nature custom, although a dealer may have put in the order as opposed to a user.

The color is probably the "Amber" claimed in the ebay listing, although from the picture it appears more to the "Honey" color (this is from looking at the catalog I received at the beginning of the year). Certainly the wood could be making it difficult to tell. It is definitely a Flamed Maple top. I can't tell if it is really a Birds-Eye neck from the pictures, no reason to doubt it, and it would be obvious once you receive it.

-recluse

I agree with recluse. And the Amber finish for USA models is a new color. If it was built in 2004 as is listed in the auction, it would likely be Honey. The serial number clearing means it's built in Fullerton, CA.

Hope this helps.

Sun May 16, 2010 10:22 pm

gracias guys. just got back from FL and package was here. Def birdseye neck/fboard....
it's a mystery axe....

Sun May 16, 2010 11:05 pm

Very nice,
I love those tight pickup routes with no pickguard...it really shows off the fine work G&L can do.
Congrats!!

Mon May 17, 2010 4:35 pm

hey thanks bro. this thing is SAWEET!!!!!!
almost had a paul feel to the neck, very wide and flater than other S styles I've played. i'm hooked on it. will take some picks/vids when I get around to it.

Tue May 18, 2010 4:46 am

Craig wrote:The serial number clearing means it's built in Fullerton, CA.

It's a little bit confusing me. Are there any other locations, where non Tributes could have been built?

Tue May 18, 2010 7:03 am

Miles Smiles wrote:
Craig wrote:The serial number clearing means it's built in Fullerton, CA.

It's a little bit confusing me. Are there any other locations, where non Tributes could have been built?

Nope, all USA G&L instruments have and continue to be built in Fullerton, CA.

Here's a picture of the G&L Factory taken during the 2007 Open House:

You can see more pictures in the GbL Gallery here.

Sorry for the confusion.

Hope this helps.