View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 American Made or Overseas. 

Post American Made or Overseas.
Can someone tell me how to tell which G&L guitars are made in the US and which overseas? Also are there two overseas factories? I hear both Indonesia and Japan mentioned? It makes it real confusing knowing what is what price-wise.

Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:38 pm

Post Re: American Made or Overseas.
Hi,

I assume you talk guitars. If not let us know.

American made:
- Serial number either on 3-bolt neck plate (1980-1997), waterslide on the back of the headstock (1997-2011), brushed aluminum plate of back of headstock (2011-current). See Serial Number Significance for the different formats.
- Neck plate has stamped "G&L" logo in it.
- Under "G&L" logo states "GUITARS BY LEO"
- Many more colors and variety of models.

Japan, Korea, Indonesia
- Serial number on back of headstock, printed within "G&L Guitars" in upper arc and country of manufacturing in the lower arc . See above link for the different formats.
- 4-bolt neck attachment only
- No "G&L" logo stamped on neck plate.
- Early models have large "TRIBUTE" logo on the headstock.
- Later models have "G&L" logo with "Tribute Series" underneath.

So watch out if you notice anything like these "modifications":
- S/N has been tampered with
- Country of origin has been scratched of.
- Nothing shows under the "G&L" logo on the front of the headstock.
- A stamped neckplate (easy enough to buy) in combination with any or all of the characteristics described above.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:03 pm
Profile WWW

Hi again,

Another giveaway is the absence of a case. There is only one US made model, and one model only, that was ever released with a gig bag: the 70 or so Custom Creations Rampage model released in 2000. So ordinarily, a US built model should have a case; either thermoplastic of tolex.

- Jos

Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:14 pm
Profile WWW

The model delete logo has no marking under the G&L logo. This is recent option on US built guitars. Model delete is the default on painted / matched headstocks. Guess it is popular with some. I would have preferred mine came with the model logo. If it has a model name and nothing under the G&L, something has been altered.

Not sure if other models are like this, but the headstock on my ASAT Special Deluxe is slightly different shape than my US ASAT Classic S. The tribute being slightly larger.

Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:44 pm

Forgot that my LE2 doesn't have anything under the G&L logo either!

Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:48 pm

My remark still holds: when you don't see anything under the G&L logo, watch out and verify other characteristics to see whether you are indeed holding a US built G&L. All Tributes should have the statement under the logo, and cannot be gotten with a painted headstock, hence should have the model decal.

- Jos

Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:51 am
Profile WWW

I agree that later model Tribute should say Tribute Series under the G&L logo. And I have seen picture s where people have scratched out the Tribute Series marking and made in Indonesia CoO. Serial number format and location is safest way in opinion.

Yes, there are Tributes with painted headstocks. Don't assume painted headstock =USA. CAR Legacy comes with painted headstock . Comanche has a black headstock. Cantrell series have painted headstocks too. BTW, Tributes withe painted headstcks should still say Tribute Series under the G&L logo.

The tributes are fine instruments and great value. I have two Tribute Series and 2 USA models.

Once you get familiar with G&L it isn't that difficult to pick out the US from imports.

Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:02 am

WitSok wrote:
If it has a model name and nothing under the G&L, something has been altered.

Hey man, what's up? I'm sure what you said is true most of the time, but nothing's been altered on this US Cantrell Rampage... guess this model is one exception where there's no 'guitars by leo' script under the G&L logo.

Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:58 pm

Clearly, I was wrong! Last time until the next time. I hadn't noticed the US Cantrell model did not have the Guitars by Leo text under the G&L logo. However, the picture of the Cantrell Tribute Series have text below the G&L logo visible.

Still, the sn formats are very different between US and imports that it should be easy enough to tell the difference.

Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:13 pm

WitSok wrote:

Still, the sn formats are very different between US and imports that it should be easy enough to tell the difference.

Exactly. :) :cheers:

Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:47 pm

WitSok wrote:
Yes, there are Tributes with painted headstocks. Don't assume painted headstock =USA. CAR Legacy comes with painted headstock . Comanche has a black headstock. Cantrell series have painted headstocks too. BTW, Tributes withe painted headstcks should still say Tribute Series under the G&L logo.

You are totally right. I hadn't looked at the G&L Tribute Series guitars lately but there are actually quite a few Tribute models with painted headstock. All however, still seem to have the "Tribute Series" decal underneath the G&L logo (and you can correct me if I'm wrong). Including the Tribute Series Jerry Cantrell Signature Model, which distinguishes its headstock from the US made model shown by HowlinWolf!

Turns out to be a rather informative thread with all the exceptions to "rules" collected.

- Jos

Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:00 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]