Identifying this asat III??

Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:02 pm

Hello!
I've come across an asat Im looking to buy(checking it out tomorrow) Im a bit thrown off though. Its a silver with black pickguard with three single coils; neck with black cover, bridge with black cover like a typical asat in the '80s.. BUT the middle one has a silver metal cover with what appeared to be an 's' on it. I have not seen anything like it online. Any info on whether or not its all original is helpful.. The serial # puts it at 1988 or 89
Thank You, AK

Re: Identifying this asat III??

Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:20 pm

amuek89 wrote:Hello!
I've come across an asat Im looking to buy(checking it out tomorrow) Im a bit thrown off though. Its a silver with black pickguard with three single coils; neck with black cover, bridge with black cover like a typical asat in the '80s.. BUT the middle one has a silver metal cover with what appeared to be an 's' on it. I have not seen anything like it online. Any info on whether or not its all original is helpful.. The serial # puts it at 1988 or 89
Thank You, AK

From your description, I would say that the middle pickup is NOT stock. Please post a photo of this guitar and include the serial number.

Here is an example of what a stock ASAT III should look like:

[photo of JByrd's ASAT III in our Gallery]

:ugeek:

Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:06 am

Thanks Craig,
Im familiar with G&L but this one is throwing me off. Checked it out today. doesnt look stock but I want to be sure... #G024889
upon seeing it in person and some research it may be a seymor duncan mini humbucker??? had 5 way switching so it must have been a III at one point....

Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:32 pm

That's a standard Asat with factory color and pickgaurd built 4-11-89. Center pick up has been added.
HLG

Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:54 pm

Thanks HLG! I know I had seen some asats with three pickups like the III but with covers like the standard so I thought maybe it used to have three original. how can you tell the exact date without removing the neck??? haha

Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:48 am

amuek89 wrote:Thanks HLG! I know I had seen some asats with three pickups like the III but with covers like the standard so I thought maybe it used to have three original. how can you tell the exact date without removing the neck??? haha

The ASAT S-3 is what you probably are referring to, with three jumbo MFD single coils. Here's the 1998 G&L Catalog page showing the ASAT S-3:

See: List of Regular Production ASAT-style guitars (USA) and Production List of G&L Instruments (USA).

HLG has access to the Leo-era factory production logs, which has the build details.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:20 am

AH.... Mystery solved then... I'll be plugging it in next week to try it out, the condition was excellent.. may remove the humbucker any insight would be great Ive never even seen that mini humbucker before this.. Thanks a ton friends..