Neck Finishes

Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:24 pm

Does G&L have a 'bare' neck finish, like a tung oil or tru oil? I noticed gun oil gloss, but that sounds as if it is just a tint then a spray anyway. ((I suppose I can always strip the finish when I get it anyway if they don't wouldn't be the first time))

Re: Neck Finishes

Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:01 pm

sirmyghin wrote:Does G&L have a 'bare' neck finish, like a tung oil or tru oil? I noticed gun oil gloss, but that sounds as if it is just a tint then a spray anyway. ((I suppose I can always strip the finish when I get it anyway if they don't wouldn't be the first time))

No, they don't have that finish option. There is the Clear Satin finish, the optional Clear Gloss finish, and the optional Gun-oil Gloss finish. The Rustic models come with Nitrocellulose Lacquer Gun-Oil Gloss finish. The SC-2 comes with a Gun Oil Tint finished with Satin on the back and Gloss on the headstock face. The Tribute models (except the Tribute Comanche and Tribute L-2000 Carved Top) have a Clear Satin finish. The Tribute Comanche and Tribute L-2000 Carved Top with maple fretboard each have a Vintage Gloss finish. The Tribute L-2000 Carved Top with rosewood fretboard has a Clear Gloss finish.

Hope this helps.

Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:47 am

Try the G&L JD5. They have a "bare neck finish" Very clean feel to them. They were produced 2004-2007.
Pretty rare. They only made a handfull of them due to "break down in negotiations"

Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:01 am

HLG wrote:Try the G&L JD5. They have a "bare neck finish" Very clean feel to them. They were produced 2004-2007.
Pretty rare. They only made a handfull of them due to "break down in negotiations"

Hmm, here's a screenshot of the old spec webpage for the ASAT JD-5.
I have the guitar shown in the picture and it does have a Satin finished neck.

We also have 7 registered in the G&L Registry and a couple say they have a gloss neck and none mention a bare neck finish.
Hey, Mac (Burnt999), if you are out there reading this, do any of your JD-5's have the bare neck finish?

I do remember that the 1984-1991 Rampage model had an oiled neck. According to Gabe (GPD):
"The back of the neck was hand oiled using Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil and the headstock face was shot with a color coat and clear."

Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:13 am

Yes, I see where a couple of them do say GOT. I have one of those seven listed. I'll have to pull mine out and take another look but I noticed the different neck finish right away. I'll see if I can get some good closeups and post them.
Where did you find that screenshot of the JD5? I was looking for it a while back and just assumed G&L had permenatly removed it.

Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:48 am

HLG wrote:Yes, I see where a couple of them do say GOT. I have one of those seven listed. I'll have to pull mine out and take another look but I noticed the different neck finish right away. I'll see if I can get some good closeups and post them.
Where did you find that screenshot of the JD5? I was looking for it a while back and just assumed G&L had permenatly removed it.

Also, the JD-5 neck was one of the first (and possibly the first) to have rolled edges and which was added to the standard neck production after that.

Where did I get that screenshot? Well, I happen to be real close to the guy that does G&L's website updates. ;)

Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:15 am

Good info, as I said a minor thing , hitting the satin with some steel wool every now and then is good enough to keep em from getting 'sticky' Can't abide gloss finished however on necks anymore. Nitro is some of the worse as it wears off under your hands in pills (I sweat a lot btw). I am sure if I did something like remove the finish my warranty would be moot. But after a few years and confidence in neck stability I might not care. Shame I have to negotiate to a dealer, so much easy to run things by a company and just 'talk' when you don't expect the dealer to not relay any possible 'non standards' and not just not try and bone you.

Mon May 10, 2010 5:25 pm

Took a couple of photos of the neck. Looks like it is a satin finish. You'd never know it by feel though.
Very clean and natural feel to it.

Craig wrote:
HLG wrote:Try the G&L JD5. They have a "bare neck finish" Very clean feel to them. They were produced 2004-2007.

We also have 7 registered in the G&L Registry and a couple say they have a gloss neck and none mention a bare neck finish.
Hey, Mac (Burnt999), if you are out there reading this, do any of your JD-5's have the bare neck finish?[url][/url]

Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:53 pm

Craig wrote:

Hey, Mac (Burnt999), if you are out there reading this, do any of your JD-5's have the bare neck finish?

I do remember that the 1984-1991 Rampage model had an oiled neck. According to Gabe (GPD):
"The back of the neck was hand oiled using Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil and the headstock face was shot with a color coat and clear."

I just got mine out again and I am mistaken on the neck finish of mine. It is a clear Gloss finish, not a Satin finish. :oops:

Here's a photo of the neck:

:ugeek: