G&L Asat Classic with maple birdseye neck

Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:21 am

Hi, I'm from Barcelona, Spain, and have a couple of years an Asat Classic really pretty. This guitar have swamp ash body in clear read and maple birdseye neck. The serial number is CL06120, fabrication date in 1997/1998.

I can't found information about this finished in G&L guitars. Still is it made this kind of neck and body woods?

Thank you.

Re: G&L Asat Classic with maple birdseye neck

Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:08 pm

Welcome, Luis. Swamp ash bodies, clear red finishes and birdseye necks are all still used. G&L builds each guitar to order, so any combination is possible.

Out of curiosity, does your ASAT Classic have wood binding on the top and a contour on the back? It is about the right age for the original ASAT Classic Custom model, which would have had a clear red finish over a swamp ash top and very likely a birdseye neck.

Ken

Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:40 am

Hello Ken,

No, my guitar hasn't binding.
I put some pictures:
[image]Image[/image]
[image]Image[/image]
[image]Image[/image]

I did my answer so in Spain I can't found any guitar like this. I supose that the distributors only bring the "standard" models, with the basic finish.

Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:31 am

luishouse wrote:Hi, I'm from Barcelona, Spain, and have a couple of years an Asat Classic really pretty. This guitar have swamp ash body in clear read and maple birdseye neck. The serial number is CL06120, fabrication date in 1997/1998.

I can't found information about this finished in G&L guitars. Still is it made this kind of neck and body woods?

Thank you.

Yes, Clear Red finish, Birdseye maple neck wood, and Swamp Ash body wood continue to be available. See: 2014 G&L U.S. Specifications and Options.

BTW, the ash tray cover over the bridge is not stock from the factory. Either a previous owner or the G&L distributor added it.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:12 pm

That is a very nice looking guitar. I hadn't noticed the serial number before, but the "CL" prefix would definitely put it a year or two after the ASAT Classic Customs were built.

I usually go for Leo-era G&Ls, but I have owned a '98 ASAT Classic. The build quality and tone were excellent.

Ken