1980 G&L Legacy Production Numbers

Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:48 am

Hi there G&L People,I have what I believe to be a 1980 Legacy in collector condition,it has the serial Number on the Bridge with the G&L Logo to the Left of the Serial Number and has a Pat Pend Logo on the Bridge as well. I noticed some differences with this guitar from many others I have looked at.This one has a Metal Backplate,the Guitars by Leo on the headstock has a small g instead of the capitol G,I read the serial Numbers started at 500,so would the first one be G003500,the one I have looks to be from the First ones Made,the case is also Different as it has Twist Locks for Latches.Would anybody know roughly how many Legacy's were produced from 1980 to 1981? Thx

Re: 1980 G&L Legacy Production Numbers

Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:01 am

scorchinone wrote:Hi there G&L People,I have what I believe to be a 1980 Legacy in collector condition,it has the serial Number on the Bridge with the G&L Logo to the Left of the Serial Number and has a Pat Pend Logo on the Bridge as well. I noticed some differences with this guitar from many others I have looked at.This one has a Metal Backplate,the Guitars by Leo on the headstock has a small g instead of the capitol G,I read the serial Numbers started at 500,so would the first one be G003500,the one I have looks to be from the First ones Made,the case is also Different as it has Twist Locks for Latches.Would anybody know roughly how many Legacy's were produced from 1980 to 1981? Thx

The answer is zero. The Legacy model was first produced in 1992 and is still in production.
See: Production List of G&L Instruments (USA).
Also, see: Serial number significance.

Please post some photos of this guitar and case, so we can see exactly what you have. :searching:

:ugeek:

Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:30 am

Hi craig,thanks for the quick reply,im not too computer saavy,im having trouble figuring out how to post the pics,I clicked on image and tried to copy and paste a photo,didnt work,any info on how to attach these would be appreciated.Thx

Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:35 am

scorchinone wrote:Hi craig,thanks for the quick reply,im not too computer saavy,im having trouble figuring out how to post the pics,I clicked on image and tried to copy and paste a photo,didnt work,any info on how to attach these would be appreciated.Thx

See this post, as it will help in navigating our site and includes links to the Tutorials: Welcome! Read This First.

Hope this helps.

Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:15 pm

[url][URL=http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/Scott_Pickens/media/DSCF2272_zps398c9347.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:16 pm

[url][URL=http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/Scott_Pickens/media/DSCF2266_zps081efc64.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:17 pm

[url][URL=http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/Scott_Pickens/media/DSCF2263_zps3304ee19.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:18 pm

[url][URL=http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/Scott_Pickens/media/DSCF2261_zpsc1920568.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:20 pm

[url][URL=http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/Scott_Pickens/media/DSCF2260_zpsfddaa941.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:21 pm

[url][URL=http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/Scott_Pickens/media/DSCF2267_zps7af04998.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:28 pm

Took awhile to post these pic's,Im thinking about removing the Neck to verify the date of manufacture,to me It looks to be a pretty early Legacy,could this maybe be one of the Prototypes, or a Employee owned guitar,any info would be greatly appreciated! This Guitar was so out of whack with the setup,but after some adjusting,it plays unbelievable,and has a ton of sustain and Resonance,this one is a real Gem for sure! Does anyone know what Body woods were used on these,im guessing Alder,and the Fretboard looks very dark,could be Ebony? When removing the neck on these micro tilt one's,is there a certain way to do this,or any issues to be concerned about? Thx

Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:00 pm

It's definitely pre-1997 Legacy, but as Craig pointed out this model didn't show up until BBE owned G&L. It did end up with a very early bridge somehow. The correct serial number is on the neck attachment plate. I can't really tell from the photos, but yours might have the Seymour Duncan pickups that were used on the earliest Legacies.

As far as taking the neck off, be sure to put a spacer under the bridge so it doesn't damage the finish when the strings are removed. I would also suggest running the corner of a razor blade along the neck joint to prevent any finish from lifting off with the neck. The joint can be tight enough for that to happen. If it does stick when you're trying to remove it, the Micro-Tilt can help to push it loose.

Ken

Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:50 pm

looks mint and beautiful !!

Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:55 pm

Hi Ken,thanks for the Info,when i get to taking the neck off,I will post pics and more Info,I think you might be right,these look very similar to Seymour Duncans,but this Guitar doesn't have a Serial number on the Neck Plate,could this possibly be one of the first one's that were custom ordered,maybe they didn't have the new parts yet,and they used the older Bridge, with the serial stamped on it,also the guitars by Leo Logo looks to be different as well? Thx again.

Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:00 pm

scorchinone wrote:Hi Ken,thanks for the Info,when i get to taking the neck off,I will post pics and more Info,I think you might be right,these look very similar to Seymour Duncans,but this Guitar doesn't have a Serial number on the Neck Plate,could this possibly be one of the first one's that were custom ordered,maybe they didn't have the new parts yet,and they used the older Bridge, with the serial stamped on it,also the guitars by Leo Logo looks to be different as well? Thx again.

What is the serial number on the bridge? Next week, I will see if I can get one of my contacts at G&L to look it up to get some production details.
My guess at this point is that it was a non-production employee built Legacy, using one of the left over early DF Vibrato bridges.

Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:46 pm

G003642

Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:42 am

Here is Dave McLaren's reply:

Hi Craig,

The numbers around 3642 are all around March-May 1981. G003642 appears to not have been used at the time, though it is inputted in the same logbook,
right between two '81 F-100s. It is inputted as 5-25-93 Legacy RW Blk.

There is no further information. In my opinion that guitar shouldn't have been done with an old serial number, but nonetheless, it's there.

Thanks, Craig.

Dave

Not a whole lot of detail, but we do now know it was built at the factory with that bridge.

Hope this helps.

Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:54 am

Thank's for the Info and Replies, this Guitar is very nice,i'm not much of a Single Coil Player,plus I have a Commanche,so actually thinking about Selling this one,any idea of a Value on this one? If anyone is interested,feel free to contact me.Thx again!

Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:01 am

scorchinone wrote:Thank's for the Info and Replies, this Guitar is very nice,i'm not much of a Single Coil Player,plus I have a Commanche,so actually thinking about Selling this one,any idea of a Value on this one? If anyone is interested,feel free to contact me.Thx again!

See this post for a resource on getting values: Is there a good source for getting G&L instrument values?

If you are looking to sell, post your Ad(s) in the GbL Marketplace, not on the G&LDP or G&L Knowledgebase forums.

Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:00 am

Late to the party, but the DFV with s/n is legit and was used on a bunch of c.1993 guitars (mainly Legacys). Read more here:

http://ggjaguar.com/legacy.htm