Tribute vs USA...The real differences??

Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:40 am

I've been planning to pick up a G&L soon. I've played both the USA and the Tribute models. In my research of the differences between the USA and Tribute lines, every dealer I've talked with has given me different information. Some say cheaper hardware (ie bridge, tuners, etc), different pickups?, different pots and caps, and then overall fit and finish.

I'm perplexed over this. Some will say just buy the one that "plays" the best, which is unfortunate, due to the limited stock carried by most dealers. I'd really like to get a solid answer from G&L on this. I'm starting to get analysis paralysis.

Help.

Re: Tribute vs USA...The real differences??

Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:45 pm

Last word we got from G&L is that the pickups are the same, and the hardware and electronics are from Asia. Fit and finish is as good as the guy doing the work. In other words, if you pick up 100 guitars from ANY builder, you're going to find a pig or two. I've seen some spectacular guitars from Gibson and PRS, and some tops that look like they were matched by a 3rd grader. Personally, I think the fit and finish on the Tribute guitars is pretty darn good.

In my unprofessional opinion, I think the Tributes feel more "Fendery". Not sure why, since they both have 1-5/8" nut widths. Perhaps it's the 9" radius on the Tributes and the neck profile. Not sure.

Hope that helps.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:36 pm

and the hardware and electronics are from Asia

I'm pretty sure that this is true, but I would like to hear the whole story on the hardware. I believe that when the Tribute series first came out their bridges were Asian and the US versions had US made bridges. I have heard several folks now claim that the US made Asat Classic bridge is the same Asian model that is on the Tributes (based on the new bridges using metric hardware). I wonder if the bridge production has shifted completely overseas or if possibly just Asat saddles and/or screws are.

I think the Tributes feel more "Fendery". Not sure why, since they both have 1-5/8" nut widths. Perhaps it's the 9" radius on the Tributes and the neck profile.

You've got to be careful with this type of quote, my friend. My first Strat was a 1972 and I bought my first Telecaster new in 1982 so a G&L with a 7.5 inch radius is what feels Fendery to me, and new American Fenders don't feel as much like Fenders :lol:

Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:20 pm

milo wrote: I have heard several folks now claim that the US made Asat Classic bridge is the same Asian model that is on the Tributes (based on the new bridges using metric hardware). I wonder if the bridge production has shifted completely overseas or if possibly just Asat saddles and/or screws are.

My first Strat was a 1972 and I bought my first Telecaster new in 1982 so a G&L with a 7.5 inch radius is what feels Fendery to me, and new American Fenders don't feel as much like Fenders :lol:

Great point on the change to metrics. It could all be coming from Asia.

You mean Fender made something other than a 9.5" radius??? I bet they put small frets on those things too. Who'd want that??!! :D

Thu May 13, 2010 8:43 am

Ches wrote:
milo wrote: You mean Fender made something other than a 9.5" radius???

The 83-84 2-knob USA Strats had a 12" Radius, very gibson-ish (but still the regular Strat scale).

Owned one for decades- played incredibly well, probably the best playing guitar I've ever owned (and I grew up on a 1973 Gibson SG - which was just "too" easy, nothing to fight with!)

I agonized over selling that 84, but the whacked out "freeflyte" trem? Tone sucker, and no parts available for a trem known to fail.

Here's a vid of that guitar - replaced it with a USA Legacy - twas a good move!
[youtube]PO6FwftT0ks[/youtube]

Sat May 15, 2010 5:05 pm

glauben wrote:I've been planning to pick up a G&L soon. I've played both the USA and the Tribute models. In my research of the differences between the USA and Tribute lines, every dealer I've talked with has given me different information. Some say cheaper hardware (ie bridge, tuners, etc), different pickups?, different pots and caps, and then overall fit and finish.

I'm perplexed over this. Some will say just buy the one that "plays" the best, which is unfortunate, due to the limited stock carried by most dealers. I'd really like to get a solid answer from G&L on this. I'm starting to get analysis paralysis.

Help.

In terms of adding G + L pickups and a G + L bridge to a Partscaster, you could do that but that's not a G + L guitar in my sense of the term.

The Tribute lays halfway between G + L-dom and the Partscaster I just described.

Where is the difference? The neck. Neck construction, truss rod design and construction, size and dimensions of the heel and neck pocket most crucially, how the heel is hand fitted to the neck pocket. Add to that the frets and the way they are installed and finished. Don't forget much different tuners and nut.

If I had a G + L Trib and was trying to upgrade it, I'd be looking for the better saddles many G + L USA models use, and I guess a good Switchcraft jack. But that still leaves me with the neck. In terms of getting the Surabaya guitar to perform like a USA model you gotta address all the "neck" items I spoke about and you're still gonna be short some way. As they say in West Virginia: "you can't get there from here".

If you like the Tributes, buy and play them; they're quality instruments. But don't ever play the USA ones because once you do, you will want only the USA version.

As for any G + L product being Fendery, I'd say no. They may be Leo-ey, but they're not FMIC-ey and that's what most people think you mean when you say Fendery.

Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:53 pm

Today I was in my local music store and noticed a used USA ASAT classic in natural finish with a maple neck hanging on the wall. I gave it a try and found it to be a good player. It was the first USA I have seen in my neck of the woods for years. I went home and got my ASAT SpecialTribute that is also a natural finish with a maple neck , and returned to a&b the two guitars. After playing both guitars I asked the salesperson, who is a fine guitarist, to try them both and we agreed that there was little or no significant difference in the two guitars. The USA had G&L tuners and the color of the neck had a nice tint to it. The neck to body fit on both guitars was excellent. The grain in my Tribute was much nicer, but a little heavier though, and being a Special we couldn't compare bridges. I was expecting to see a big difference in the two guitars and was a little disappointed that the USA wasn't any better than the Tribute, as I would have tried to work a deal towards the USA model. This is first time I've been able to try both versions of the G&L line in the same store. I originally bought the Tribute because it was such a great playing and sounding guitar and had a beautiful grained body and the price was right. I'm not saying that the Tribute is better, but there wasn't any measurable difference between the two guitars. So I bought a nice hard shell case for my Tribute to keep it in good shape and went home. It was a fun day at the music store and also my birthday. Sorry for the long post, but this is my first post. I'll try to keep it shorter in the future. Oh, and Hi everyone !!!

Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:05 pm

When comparing any two guitars, you always have to allow for the exceptional instrument to shine through the price point.
The right combination of wood and pickups can overshadow the country of origin.
There are great Tributes and there are average USA G&Ls and when one meets the other, the price difference doesn't make much sense. :searching:

Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:29 pm

Bassman, you are absolutely correct. That's why it's so important to try several guitars, if you can, to compare and find the one that talks to you.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:18 am

Can someone help me verify if this serial number is a USA ASAT Classic, or a Korean Tribute ASAT Classic?

Serial # G037213

This is the 1995 Blonde finish with Tortoise Shell pick guard guitar, and is in the Registry:

http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/AUTOREG/int ... a=3&i=1526

Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:27 am

_DC wrote:Can someone help me verify if this serial number is a USA ASAT Classic, or a Korean Tribute ASAT Classic?

Serial # G037213

This is the 1995 Blonde finish with Tortoise Shell pick guard guitar, and is in the Registry:

http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/AUTOREG/int ... a=3&i=1526

That is a USA built G&L.

See Serial number significance for more details.

Hope this helps.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:29 am

Thanks Craig!

Something odd I noticed about this serial in the registry - it is listed twice, once as a ASAT Classic and again as a Legacy. How could that be? Which one is accurate?

Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:44 pm

_DC wrote:Thanks Craig!

Something odd I noticed about this serial in the registry - it is listed twice, once as a ASAT Classic and again as a Legacy. How could that be? Which one is accurate?

Someone entered that Legacy with the wrong serial number and since there is no current owner attached to that registry entry
I am going to delete it. The older G0xxxxx serial numbers can be difficult to read accurately and this does happen occasionally.
Now that you own the ASAT Classic, go ahead and edit the registry entry and make yourself the current owner.

Hope this helps.

Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:07 am

I dont have the ASAT Classic in my hands yet. But when I do I'll be looking to identify the following to verify it is made in the USA:

1. Verify the serial number. If it begins with "G" it is made in the USA. Where will this be located, exactly?
2. Check the headstock logo. "ASAT Classic" should be in metallic ink with a black outline on a USA model. It will be all black on a Tribute, right?
3. Look for the headstock dowel pin plug, which USA models have. Where exactly is this located on the headstock/neck?